Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
scraft
My Device: PlayBook

Launch AppWorld

Hi there,

Is it possible to Launch AppWorld from a native application? The two activies I am interested in are:

1. Prompting the user if they wish to rate the application, if they say yes, send them to the AppWorld page for the current application, ideally straight to the rate section.

2. Prompting the user if they wish to view another application that I have developed, if they say yes, take them to the other application on AppWorld.

I have seen that with navigator_invoke I can load a web-page, which I thought I could point at a URL like:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/INSERT_CONTENT_ID_HERE

This would allow me (presumably) to take the user to the web side of the store, but I thought that going direct to AppWorld as installed on the device may be better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,

Steve

Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook

Re: Launch AppWorld

On BBOS devices launching the website redirects the user to the app if it's installed. I believe the PlayBook works the same way, but I have not tested it myself.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scraft
My Device: PlayBook

Re: Launch AppWorld

Thanks, I have tried this and it does indeed redirect to the AppWorld. There are a few (mainly minor) issues:

1. It leave a 'blank' web browser open after the redirect, not the end of the world just ever so slightly untidy.

2. You need to know the URL that you are going to forward to ahead of time, maybe this is as good as it gets, however on Android (for example) you just need to know the identifier, e.g. com.mycompany.mygame. The reason I highlight this is I want to make a number of games active at once that have links to point at each other, at the moment I can't see how to do this other than make the first app live, find out the URL from AppWorld, then bring the second alive, pointing at the first, get the second URL and point the third at the second and make it live and then (finally) put out an update for first version to point at the third. Again, not the end of the world, but there is potentially some room for improvement in this process.

3. I am not aware of a way to take the user directly to a rating page/dialogue, ideally I want to ask the user if they would like to help out the developer by leaving a rating/comment, if they say yes ideally it'd take them directly to a page where they can simply leave their rating and comment.

I welcome any further suggestions/comments.

Best regards,

Steve

Please use plain text.