Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
bbdev12345
My Device: 9900
Accepted Solution

Licensing flow bb 10

Hi,

I have been researching licensing my application with bb 10. Is there anything in the api which is equivant to RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY (in java) so I can check to see if the app has been licensed via app world?

I would really appreciate a bit of clarity on this matter.

Thanks.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Licensing flow bb 10

[ Edited ]

There's no API for that yet, and none expected before launch, unfortunately. It's the same situation with the PlayBook... the dynamic and pool license models do result in a license key being stored on the device, but it's inaccessible to our apps. The only option you have for now is to instruct the user to copy/paste it from App World.

In the PlayBook, if the user goes to the app's entry in App World after downloading it, the license key will be visible there, and they can tap on the text to copy it to the clipboard. They could then go into your app and paste it somewhere, and your app would store it and of course validate it in some fashion.

I consider that approach highly undesirable, however, so I'm not using any of it at the moment. Apparently we need to continue to be patient...

There's an old thread in the App World forum where this is being tracked, but there's no new news on it since, I think, the name BB10 was first mentioned, aside from "should be available in future" with no details. See http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Programmatic-access-to-licen...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!