Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
itcraps
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Live Image Processing

Is it possible to perform image processing (sepia, vignetting) before the picture is actually taken?

E.g.: Instagram Live image processing.

Thank you

www.jackdevora.com
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Re: Live Image Processing

Not with the 10.0.4 NDK.  It should be possible by the time BB10 launches or 2.1 rolls out.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Actually, what I said above is not entirely true...

You have access to the realtime viewfinder image data, but you would have to make a writeable copy of it and then blit it to your own viewfinder window.  You would likely just keep the OS-provided camera viewfinder window invisible in this case.

This would allow you to have realtime effects in the viewfinder (might take a bit of a framerate hit due to the effect, but not terribly so).

As for inserting the effect in the full-sized image, you would have to decompress the JPEG buffer prior to saving, apply the same effect, recompress, and then save.

The upcoming API would allow you to do realtime in-place modification of the viewfinder buffers prior to them being displayed in the OS-provided camera viewfinder window.  You could also do realtime modification of captured images, however you would still need to handle decompression if you are working in the JPEG domain.  I can't recall whether uncompressed still image capture is supported in the current release, however it will definitely be available shortly - which would eliminate the decompress-modify-recompress pass.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
itcraps
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks for the reply, if that's the case, I think I should wait for 2.1, performance wise..

Thanks
www.jackdevora.com
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sucroid
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Sounds like the upcoming API is really nice.

Any suggestions on good open source image processing libraries for real-time use?

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Please use plain text.