Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
daly001
My Device: alpha dev
My Carrier: 21622042601
Accepted Solution

LocationDiagnostics

the Sample "locationdiagnostics" who allow you to see your current position using gps does not work !!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Re: LocationDiagnostics

Hi,

I just tried it on my Dev Alpha, OS version 10.0.9.1103 and it's working fine for me. Perhaps you are just not finding any satellites?

BB10 does seem to struggle to find satellites if you are inside a building. It can take 20 secs plus indoors occasionally (and at other times inthe same location it's almost instant). Where are you trying the app?

Bob

Please use plain text.
Contributor
daly001

i tried it outside a building using the BB dev alpha but it don't show me le longitude or latitude !!

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

Well, I'm selecting  PositioningMethod: GPS, then hitting "start updates" and after about 5 secs today (it does vary alarmingly) .

It's showing up as method: gps_autonomous [gnss].

Silly question. Did you accept allowing the app to access the GPS when it installed?

And an odd question: is the Dev Alpha warm or cold when you try? (I've had problems with the GPS not working reliably when the device was hot).

Other than that I can't imagine what the difference between us could be.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ametller
My Device: Not Specified

On my dev alpha it took about 15 minutes to get the GPS s...

On my dev alpha it took about 15 minutes to get the GPS signal ON THE OUTSIDE! After that, then the signal was acquired quite fast (about 1-2 seconds). Every time I turn the device off I have to wait again for 15 minutes though, which is quite painful. This didn't happen to me in Beta 3! It worked perfectly, even on interiors (by using the WiFi aid method).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
daly001

i'm selecting GPS too but when i click on "start updates" , values of longitude and latitude stayed 0 
i also allowed the app to access the GPS and when i tried the app i used the "Reset Mode" as cold after that as warm :/

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

Re: On my dev alpha it took about 15 minutes to get the GPS s...

This didn't happen to me in Beta 3

From what I heard, there was quite a code change between Beta 3 and Beta 4  (versions 386 and 1103 of the OS which is where the problems are I guess)  to the GPS in order to fix reliability issues. Sounds like it hasn't solved everyone's problems.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ametller

Yeah, in my case it didn't improve at all. In fact it got a lot worse. I hope it gets fixed for beta 5 due end December, otherwise it would be pretty difficult to match the deadline of the 21st January!

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd

It's interesting because the update did actually fix one GPS problem that I was having.

I found that that the GPS was very temperature sensitive and the hotter the device got, the less likely it was to find more than two satellites (why two?). It meant that over about two hours the performance of the GPS would degrade and the only solution was to turn off the phone and wait for it to cool down. It was testing my GPS based app that was heating up my phone.

Whatever else is happening, that at least seems to have been fixed in Beta 4.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
ametller

Hmmm it sounds strange. I did not have the problem you mention in Beta 3. Do you also have the Dev Alpha A? Maybe they have different GPS hardware, and this is the reason of the different behavior...

Please use plain text.