Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
lindstrom

Momentics - without device or simulator

I am planning to teach fresh developers C++ using BB10 native SDK and devices as target,

so that I can focus on plain and simple C++ code with normal standard libraries/namespace.

but I need a way to use the Momentics IDE for normal "console" apps with plain standard libraries - and be able to use all normal console io such as cin/cout etc. to compile without simulator, PB or BB10 as target.

Is there a simple way to do it?

Having the "console" debug windows as the only "console" would be fine, and I see it already supports normal "cout" - but more than that is another story... no input etc... 

I know I can find C++ compilers out there that will integrate with the IDE somehow, but the native SDK and IDE we use today already have compiler and resources - and since also the SDK updates in between, it would be a good idea to have it all there...

Please - if anyone know Momentics good - and know an easy way to do this - appreciated if you will enlighten me,

Hope I don't have to resolv using Code::Blocks or some other alternative IDE just for the C++ lessons..

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mgoulet
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Momentics - without device or simulator

Hi there,

I am not familiar with a simple way to do this -

A Few alternatives:

1 - Given that students will have access to actual devices for later assignments as you mention, it could be a good idea to introduce them to building mobile apps by providing a simple application for the device/simulator containing a scrollable block of text, in which 'console output' would be displayed;

2 - Have them launch the HelloCascades project on the device/simulator, but use the console for the first assignments;

Martin

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
lindstrom

yea - that's about the only way I have found that works.. 

BUT - it not a great way to start learning C/C++ having to include all the extra code for the BB UI...

simple standard app like this should work:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int first_argument;

int main()
{
cout << "Enter first argument: ";
cin >> first_argument;
cout << first_argument <<"\n";
}

Then we could also use readily available teaching material, books and samples ...

Code::Blocks with MINGW seems to be the way to go.. a bit sad though - since the Momentics propably already include all needed to do it from within its UI, - and it Would be great to seemlessly progress from simple C++ into more complex and using a BB10 simulator/device as target.

If ANYONE have ideas of how this can be done, please - send some feedback.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mgoulet
My Carrier: N/A

Hi,

Unfortunately, there isn't a quick way to accomplish this - another alternative would be to install Eclipse CDT and the NDK separately. It will be a different environment but very similar to Momentics moving forward

Martin

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
lindstrom

[ Edited ]

Thanx for the tip,  believe this is currently the best we can do...

I will keep the thread open a little bit longer, in hope that someone will  figure out a simple way to add more targets, including Windows/Console(x86) - for C/C++ code.. 

Please use plain text.