Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
rmisk
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

NDK Roadmap and Target Release Dates

I understand that the NDK is in its infancy which is why there are so many holes in it and there is a distinct lack of detailed documentation.

What I would like to be aware of is (maybe all this is available to the public somewhere, but I haven't found it):

1. When are the target release dates for the SDK updates/upgrades?

2. When are the target release dates for the associated documentation updates/upgrades?

3. A separate road map for both the SDK and documentation indicating what new functions are expected in each update/upgrade. (It would be nice if they were sync'd but anything is better ...)

4. Listing, including brief descriptions, of undocumented functions that exist but need more testing and fixes.  As long as these are clearly labeled, may be even have the  'beta_' as a prefix or suffix for any undocumented functions not yet public but used internally then developers would know there could be significant changes and they know they are using them at their own risk.  Allowing the beta testing of any new functions should accelerate bringing their development to completion.

Regular monthly releases with a clear description of what has changed so developers only need to update/upgrade the NDK when the change(s) affect them would be much appreciated.  

At this time I don't have no idea where the NDK is going, maybe it is never going to manage and display text easily and well, maybe it is never going to allow the running of gps while in standby, etc.  If it is planned to add those functions then I want to know when I can plan for them.

When I decided to work with the NDK rather than QT, AIR, etc I assumed (obviously incorrectly) that the Native meant that I would have more access to all the hardware and capabilities of the tablet than the other SDKs.  Sadly, it appears that is very incorrect.

What I need is more incentive to use the NDK, unless, of course, Blackberry wants to phase it out which is something I would like to know too.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: NDK Roadmap and Target Release Dates

I think if that information will be forthcoming, it's information we'll be hearing about for the first time at the BlackBerry 10 Jam... http://www.blackberryjamconference.com/

In my view, the NDK certainly isn't going to be phased out. It isn't a choice between "NDK instead of Qt".... you'll be choosing the NDK and, if you're not building games, you'll simultaneously be choosing Qt (more specifically Cascades).

They've said nothing publicly that would help answer your questions however. Come to BB10 Jam or wait for news from around that time, since I'm pretty sure they have no intention of answering these questions any earlier than that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!