Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
cornplay
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

NFC permission?

I can't find this information anywhere and I don't have BB10 Dev Alpha.

Do I need to specify some permission in the manifest to be able to leverage NFC functionality in my native app?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: NFC permission?

[ Edited ]

Currently there are no native documented NFC APIs supported on the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha.

Edit:  Corrected.  Some NFC APIs do exist, just not documented yet.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Uh, what? Pretty sure we saw NFC demo'd at the Jam, and there are most definitely libraries included in the NDK.

Cornplay, I'm unaware of any permissions requirements to use NFC, but TBH, RIM should probably incorporate something for that if they want to maintain platform security.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mwoolley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi

NFC APIs for tag reading and writing and SNEP are available to the Dev Alpha/NDK10.0.0.4 developer. I've not seen any need for permissions yet (and I have code working for NFC on Dev Alpha) but agree it's likely this will be a requirement. I'm looking into this now and will post again if I find out more.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

I can confirm that there are no permissions associated with NFC that need to be set in the application descriptor xml file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Developer
HorizonXP
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook

Martin, do you think that it should be something that is added?

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

No, we take care of NFC security in a variety of other ways including:

1. We allow users to turn NFC off- in which case implicit sharing will not be possible
  2. We turn NFC off when backlight is off, so no data can leak unless the user is interacting with the device
  3. You have to tap another device when NFC is on, backlight is on, the device is unlocked and you have a running application implementing NFC push on the foreground in order to send any data
Please use plain text.
Contributor
komanaki
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Sosh (Orange FR)

Will there be documentation for NFC peer-to-peer (SNEP) too ?

Thanks !

mwoolley

There will be documentation for all the BlackBerry 10 APIs emerging as we head towards the final release :-)

That said, watch this space (or better still, follow @mdwrim on Twitter) as we'll be releasing a knowledge base article explaining how to use SNEP for peer to peer transfer on BlackBerry 10 along with working code very, very soon!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
komanaki
My Device: PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Sosh (Orange FR)

Wow, that's what i call fast reply !

Great, i'll wait for that article and i just followed you.