Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell Canada

Native OS and Modal Dialog, is that possible??

Hi,

I trying to go through the documnetation of the Playbook and basically it's not too complicate but the interface part I am not sure where to start. I don't want to make a too complicate program regardings the interface but the porgram itself will be a bit more complicate.

So let says I would like to do a modal dialog box that is the main page of the program. is it doable or I have to do the basic UI component myself which would be completly retard or again do I have to use Adobe Air which is borderline retard because I don't want to use XYZ programmation language, I am at ease with C/C++ but not Java or action script even if they are similar and do not have 700$ for the license of Adobe Air.

Thank you, Stephan

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Native OS and Modal Dialog, is that possible??

Hi Stephan,

FYI: AIR is not $700, it's free. The IDE (FlashBuilder) can be had for $250, or there are free alternatives too. You can even do it all from the command-line or write some Ant scripts if you like.

But anyhow, you have various options at the moment:

• you can code your own UI using OpenGL. Lots of work.
  • you can use the Qt framework, which has been ported to PlayBook. Check out these DevCon Europe sessions.(and Qt is covered in the keynote too)
  • you can wait until Cascades is released, but there is no ETA on that yet
  • you can - as you noted - code your UI in Air and call native C/C++ code via Air Native Extensions

Hope this helps.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

Hi sfarley,

I would recomend you use Qt Quick, you can make great looking UI's fast, and they are easily integrated into your Qt  c++ code.

Rim is working on a port that is quite functional now, get the port here: https://github.com/blackberry/Qt

Find instructions here: http://wiki.qt-project.org/QNX

See Qt Quick in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4U7QWRajg

Good luck!

Jon

New Contributor

I like the idea of QT though I am no unix person, that is a bit complicate, do you have any tutorial that explain how to deal with QT installation for Windows. I am looking around and my head is already spinning :smileywink: I know I will have a sweet trying to program a simple program under that system.

I can understand better now why there is not that much program under Playbook they don't have any UI integrated that the programmer can use, really nice interface to do gaming though but the Playbook is not a toy for me, it's supose to be used for professional appplication. I find it difficult I need to have a program with XYZ modal windows and I think it would be easier at that point to do a game lol :smileywink:

Thsnk you for the suggestion, I might use flash, I really don't know at that point.

New Contributor

I think in the meantime I will use Flash Builder or a free alternative, any suggestion?
Developer

For professional applications and awesome UI's, you can't beat Qt. :smileyhappy:

That's my 2 cents.

Jon

Developer

[ Edited ]

Download the latest QtSDK http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/  

and check it out!

It has several excellent tutorials built in.

You can develop your application and get it working on the desktop or in the sim from the SDK, then you can deploy it for the playbook, symbian, android, mac, linux, windows desktops, etc. Qt  can be deployed across several platforms...

Cheers,

Jon

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I'mjust going to throw SDL into the mix since it isn't all too difficult to learn. I learned the parts I needed in a day. Of course all of this heavily depends on how good you are with C.

New Contributor

It seem good with the one you provided, do you have a link that explain how to merge the QNX and this one together??