Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
abhibera
My Carrier: None

Native SDK on Linux error

Hi

I am trying to get the native sdk working on Linux. I use Fedora 16 x64 as my host machine.

Installation went like a breeze. However I couldn't start up the IDE.  I get the following error:

bbndk-10.0.4-beta/host/linux/x86/usr/bin/../..//usr/qde/eclipse/qde: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Then I tried linking  libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 from my own /usr/lib64 but looks like the IDE wants a 32 bit version. I remember facing a similar problem while installing the Android SDK on my system. Can someone suggest an official fix for this? 

Wishlist: I can has Qt Creator integration please? :smileyhappy:

Thanks 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Carrier: ...

Re: Native SDK on Linux error

[ Edited ]

There is no need for momentix from the NDK, you can  use Qt creator stand alone. There is a linux Qt bb SDK download here: https://github.com/blackberry/Qt/downloads I would recommend downloading the latest Qt 4.8.1 libs from here though: http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt Configure them with this: 

$ ./configure -opensource -confirm-license -qpa -iconv -shared -release -xplatform unsupported/blackberry-armv7le-qcc \ -little-endian -arch arm -largefile -nomake examples -xmlpatterns -no-webkit -no-neon -no-rpath -opengl es2 -prefix-install -prefix ~/QtPlaybook
$ make
$ make install

Then copy and past the latest Qt over the older version in the QtPlaybookSDK directory. Qt creator works great, including the debug output.

To get the 32bit libs for momentix to work  (you will probably need more then gtk) you can get them from the yum repository's, Use # yum search gtk2 to see what libs are available then install the 32bit version, example for 32bit gtk:

# yum install gtk2.i686

Good luck!

Jon

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abhibera

How about the simulator? The last time I tried getting the simulator the URL redirected me. I don't have a device. Should I use a playbook?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Carrier: ...

[ Edited ]

OOps. My apologies, I didn't notice you were trying to run the BB10 NDK... My bad, the above instructions is just for the playbook.

However use the same method using yum to track down the 32bit libs you need for the install..

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
anhu
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi, 

Please use Ubuntu 32bit version for x86.  

That is the officially supported Linux OS. 

Best regards, 

Anthony 

Please use plain text.
Developer
HuXu77
My Carrier: Verizon

I am on Ubuntu 12.04 x32 and when trying to use the Cascades Builder I get 

The QML preview is not available

/opt/bbndk-10.0.4-beta/target/linux/x86/usr/lib/libQtCascades-IDE.so: libOSMesa.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

When checking I find the libQtCascades-IDE.so, who's owner/group is 1001 which seems weird to me, but I don't see a libOSMesa.so.6.

Any ideas?

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abhibera

When you say Linux be clear what flavour is supported. But from my point of view it should not be too difficult to support all flavours. The more distros you support, the more accessible it is for developers. Also I wish the signing procedure is done away with in BB10. It's primitive. Why not have a developer mode like Symbian/Android/MeeGo Harmattan? Makes life easier for us. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abhibera

I do understand that one has to track down 32 bit libs to run the NDK. It would be nice if someone from Blackberry posted instructions on how to do this so that life is easier. This could be a major stumbling block for a lot of developers. Also please start an official IRC channel. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abhibera

I still can't get hold of the simulator for Linux. The website keeps redirecting.

wget https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/beta/downloads/fetch/BlackBerry10Simulator-Installer-BB10...

--2012-05-03 10:58:16-- https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/beta/downloads/fetch/BlackBerry10Simulator-Installer-BB10...
Resolving bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com... 23.58.8.93
Connecting to bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com|23.58.8.93|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Moved Temporarily
--2012-05-03 10:58:17-- https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/beta/downloads/
Reusing existing connection to bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com:443.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 17578 (17K) [text/html]
Saving to: “index.html”

100%[=================================================================================================>] 17,578 --.-K/s in 0s

2012-05-03 10:58:17 (47.2 MB/s) - “index.html” saved [17578/175

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
abhibera

Works now! But I got to get hold of VMWare Player.

I cannot seem to activate my VMWare account. I don't use VMWare. I prefer Virtualbox. So I was wondering if there is a Virtualbox image available for the simulator?

I don't want to hear that "this is not officially supported". :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.