Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
Petruccio
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Orange Moldova
Accepted Solution

Network information

Dears, please help me.

As I understood from here http://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/cascades/bb__device__cellularnetworkinfo.html , The CellularNetworkInfo class can provide information about network name, based on MCC / MNC. It also can provide information about it when you are in roaming.

How does it understand the network name when in roaming? On what it is based? Because MCC / MNC is stocked in IMSI of the SIM, but when you are in roaming, it uses TMSI.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mwoolley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Network information

I'm looking into this for you and will report back.

Regards

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

Hi, the network name when roaming, is derived accordingly to a slightly complicated set of rules. In some cases it comes from the network via the Network Identity and Time Zone mechanism ("NITZ" - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NITZ). In other cases it comes from tables of information held within the SIM and may be subject to further rules stipulated by the carrier that issued the SIM.

Hope this answers your question (if so, please mark as solved).

Thanks

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Petruccio

Unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. I need to know exactly how it works. I talked to some of my friends that develop apps for iOS. They told me that Apple SDK cannot retrieve such information from the network when roaming. So, in this case, I have another question: maybe there is a way to retrieve network information from the device, not from the SIM card?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Petruccio

I have a question. Do someone knows how can  I contact BlackBerry in this case? Maybe an e-mail? I need a response to my problem. :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

What's wrong with mwooley?

PM him with the link to this thread and ask nicely if he wouldn't mind taking another look.

Alternatively wait for the next BlackBerry event and go talk with a developer.

If you believe this is a missing feature or missing documentation you can put a request in Jira.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
mwoolley

Petruccio, as suggested, a PM is one way to contact me directly or use Twitter. That said, these forums are staffed by numerous BlackBerry development consultants so you're not dependent on me personally.

Please ellaborate on your question. Why do you need to know the precise algorithm we use? I don't yet know that we'd be willing to release such information. Before I ask the development team, I need to have a good understanding of your reasons please.

Regards

Martin

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Petruccio

It is very simple. I need to extract network name when a user is in roaming. You said that sometimes it may use NITZ, otherwise some rules defined by the carrier. How can I be sure that it will work? I want to know exactly what parameters it needs to understand "network name".  I need to present this information to some key-people from a company and what will I say to them? That I don't know exactly if this application will work, but it should work?

Or, maybe, it is 100% that CellularNetworkInfo class will provide me always the right information?

Please use plain text.
mwoolley

To clarify my original answer, what we offer is not always the network name itself. We call it the "Operator Name String" and it is this that gets derived according to a process involving NITZ and carrier-specific SIM card data and rules.

I'll see whether I can find out and release further specifics on this or not. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Petruccio

Thank's a lot! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.