Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
gjinchrist
My Device: iphone4

New to app development - Background in administration.. where should I begin?

I'm a sysadmin but interested in cascades and looking to mess around with app dev and was curious where I should start learning the concepts and tools.  I have access to the webinars and the demos but feel like I need some base dev tutorials.   If you all have some recommendations on where to begin it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Gary

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer

Re: New to app development - Background in administration.. where should I begin?

Everything you need to get started should be here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/

You can try the sample apps from the links on the site, or better, direct from github.

There are also some worked examples in the documentation, particularly the circular slider and traffic light.

If you need basics in C++ there are many great sources online or books.  Google is your friend.

Is there a specific topic for which you'd like the "best" resource?

Stuart

New Contributor
gjinchrist
My Device: iphone4

Re: New to app development - Background in administration.. where should I begin?

I'm just trying to get started. Some small mini lessons to build a couple of simple apps would be great. Also something to help me get concepts down and comfortable would be awesome. For example: "here's how you build a simple calculator app and this why you do what you do." From what I hear you can use c++, webworks, and JavaScript but since I don't have experience in any where should I begin?
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer

For C++/Javascript, download the samples from the page I linked.  Look at HelloWorld first, then others in whatever order strikes your fancy.   Don't skip stampcollector or the two cascadescookbook.

Also, read the documentation in the link above -- it's quite readable and has a few worked examples so you can get your fingers dirty: the circular slider and the traffic light.  If you have trouble following this, google should find a good introduction on C++ or javascript or whatever you have difficulty reading.   There is also excellent on-line documentation for Qt, but remember that if you are using a cascades UI then you don't use the Qt UI objects.

For webworks and other technologies, I'll defer to others for the best links for getting started.

Stuart