Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
iBlizz
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

No 'Design Mode' For QML Files

Hi.  I just installed the SDK on a fresh Ubuntu 12.10 machine and got everything installed without a hitch.  I went through the deployment wizard, connected my Z10 over wifi and was able to build and run the HelloCascades app just fine.

Now I want to start developing.

I created a new BlackBerry Cascades application project and can't seem to get 'Design Mode' working for QML.  The button is there, juse greyed out.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm pretty eager to get started.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
iBlizz
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: No 'Design Mode' For QML Files

Update:  Preview mode is NOT disabled.  What else could it be?  Still doesn't work.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I think it's also dependant on your graphics card the recommendation is to make sure your drivers are up to date.

I can't find the Page at the moment but will post it when I do.

It's in the release notes (also read the bit about linux),

QML preview considerations

There are several considerations you should keep in mind as you work with the QML preview in the QNX Momentics IDE.

Using QML preview with multiple files open

Depending on system resources available, users may experience an unexpected termination of the QNX Momentics IDE when keeping more than 10 QML files open in the editor while QML preview is enabled.
Workaround: Keep the number of QML files open at any given time under 10, or disable the QML preview feature in Preferences.

QML preview in Linux

QML preview functionality is not working on Linux, and only works on Windows and Mac OS at the moment. Linux users can deploy their applications to a device or simulator to test the look of their QML components.

Using older drivers with QML preview

Any drivers more than 12 months old are unsupported and can lead to issues with rendering, including, but not limited to, complete disabling of whole QML preview feature. The user will also be notified about this situation by a dialog within the QNX Momentics IDE.
Workaround: Update to the latest drivers. Note that this issue might occur even with newer graphics cards and the latest drivers. In this case, you should report this issue to Research In Motion in as much detail as possible.

QML preview with C++ objects

The QML preview can load and render components based on the Cascades plug-in only (in bb.cascades 1.0). Objects that are registered in C++ in your project are not understood by the QML preview and cannot be loaded and rendered.

CPU usage with QML preview

If you're using looping animations in your QML code with QML preview enabled, the QNX Momentics IDE may use excessive CPU.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Just checked the 10.1 release notes and situation still the same for linux.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
itsaboutcode
My Device: aa
My Carrier: aa

Still the same with 10.2. Not sure why they are not fixing this major issue.
Please use plain text.