Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
trivedirujuta
My Device: 9800,BB Dev Alpha,z10 limited edition
My Carrier: Vodafone

No Phone calling and mailing from Dev Alpha Device

Hi ,

I got the dev alpha device @ Blackberry Jam,inserted a micro sim card.I am able to hear the ring but not able to answer call. I have searched for that and got to know that there is no phone software in the device right now.

I want to know that will it get that software in future or it will be as it is?Will I be to upgrade that device and test phone functionality?

Rujuta Trivedi
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: No Phone calling and mailing from Dev Alpha Device

Upgrades will be coming, but don't ever expect the Dev Alpha to function as a phone. It's a device for testing your own apps, not a prototype of the future BB10 phones.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
trivedirujuta
My Device: 9800,BB Dev Alpha,z10 limited edition
My Carrier: Vodafone

Ya,I know that dev alpha device won't work as Bb10 phone.I just need to know that will I able to test phone and mail etc functionality in future?
Rujuta Trivedi
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

If the Dev Alpha won't work as a phone, then I don't see how you'd be able to test phone functionality. I also don't see why you'd want to, since your app probably isn't intended to integrate with the phone capability. If it is, you may have a long time to wait until APIs are published to support that.

Email can work fine over WiFi, so if they ever provide access to the non-GUI mail service on the device then presumably that would let you test email from your app. They have not said.

I don't expect we'll see the actual Messages app on the device until basically when BB10 is ready to launch, but I could be wrong about that. (If I'm right, it would mean the Dev Alpha would never get the full Messages app, since their stated intent is to disabled ("brick") the devices once BB10 ships.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Pumano-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Beeline

I seen yesterday message app on Dev Alpha

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

That means little to any developer, as it's not the BB10 Message app, but simply the PlayBook OS 2.x app. It has none of the Invocation Framework stuff, no other BB10 integration, and isn't even a Cascades app.

You could use that to test a "mailto:" link I suppose, but that's about it. Also it's not supported, so you'd do better building a test framework into your app than in attempting to rely on that approach for testing even "mailto:".

Please use plain text.
Developer
Pumano-
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Beeline

Invocation is good feature
Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

peter9477 wrote:
I don't expect we'll see the actual Messages app on the device until basically when BB10 is ready to launch, but I could be wrong about that. (If I'm right, it would mean the Dev Alpha would never get the full Messages app, since their stated intent is to disabled ("brick") the devices once BB10 ships.)

Speaking to RIM developer relations staff, particularly at BB10 Jam, they seemed to think we'd be getting updates that gave us apps for testing. I can't speak specifically to phone calls, but I was told that things like BBM would be reasonable as otherwise we'd have a lot of difficulty testing our apps. Until we get any official confirmation however it is of course rumour and you shouldn't expect anything.

--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.