Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
Accepted Solution

Non-Functioning Cameras on Dev Alpha Units

[ Edited ]

I want to start a sticky thread to aggregate reports and work towards a solution.

There is a known display controller problem on Dev Alpha A units which first surfaced with the 10.0.9.388 build released at BBJam Americas.  This problem has been very difficult for us to diagnose, but since it only appeared to be affecting specific hardware, and in very small numbers, there has not been much resourcing devoted to finding a solution.

I would like to use this thread to collect information from developers who are experiencing a black screen when starting the camera app (or any other camera app).  This information will help us move forward towards a solution.

So, if you are experiencing the problem, can you please provide:

1. Whether you are seeing the problem with Dev Alpha A, or Dev Alpha B.
  2. Are you developing camera applications for BlackBerry 10?
  3. What software build are you running on your device?  (Settings->About->OS Version)
  4. Is the black viewfinder problem occurring when launching the native BlackBerry 10 Camera App?  Please indicate whether the entire screen is black (no gui elements), or if you can see the controls, and focus box.
  5. Does the black viewfinder problem occur when you build and run the following sample application (please reboot first, so the device is in a known initial state): https://github.com/blackberry/Core-Native-Community-Samples/tree/master/NativeCamera
  6. If you tap the screen when running this sample code, does it capture a photo?  you can check for this by opening the Browser and browsing to "file:///accounts/1000/shared/camera"

Thanks.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Developer
maribou
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: Non-Functioning Cameras on Dev Alpha Units

Moving over from the old thread...

1. Dev Alpha A
2. Yes
3. 10.0.9.1675
4. Yes
5. Yes.
6. No photos captured, "camera_take_photo() error 45" message in the console

The same Alpha A unit didn't have this problem with 10.0.9.1103 on it (however flash didn't work at all)
Please use plain text.
Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE

[ Edited ]

Hi @smcveigh,

1) I am seeing camera problems with my DevAlpha A unit as of the latest 10.0.9.1675 release.  I did not notice any issues on previous builds.

2) I am not currently developing a camera app, but I had plans for one.

3) OS Version is 10.0.9.1675

4) Yes, native BB10 camera app displays only a black viewscreen and fails to terminate cleanly.

5) Yes, the NativeCamera sample app also displays the same black viewfinder problem, and does not terminate cleanly.

6) No, no photos can be captured by either camera app after the latest update.

The error reported on the console is:

camera_take_photo() error 5

Same as @maribou above, I did not have camera problems on the Beta4 update except that the flash didn't work.

Thanks for looking into this, it would be great to have a solution!

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Please use plain text.
smcveigh

maribou wrote:
The same Alpha A unit didn't have this problem with 10.0.9.1103 on it (however flash didn't work at all)

I'm curious.. are you able to downgrade to 1103?  I'm not sure if there is an autoloader available that does that, but it's something that at least one person should try.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Sean, we spoke at BBJam America and exchanged the A for a B. But I had had that problem intermittently prior to the new firmware released then. Sometimes the stock camera app would start once. Returning to the app after closing or minimizing would often show green bars or a completely black viewfinder. A reboot was required to get it functioning again. As I don't have that device or that firmware anymore, I can't test. But I thought you might like to know that in my case it wasn't (only) the San Jose firmware update that started it.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
smcveigh

Innovatology wrote:

Sean, we spoke at BBJam America and exchanged the A for a B. But I had had that problem intermittently prior to the new firmware released then. Sometimes the stock camera app would start once. Returning to the app after closing or minimizing would often show green bars or a completely black viewfinder. A reboot was required to get it functioning again. As I don't have that device or that firmware anymore, I can't test. But I thought you might like to know that in my case it wasn't (only) the San Jose firmware update that started it.

Yup.  Thanks.  Yours is the unit that was being diagnosed here, but it sounds like we may now have 2 different problems on Dev Alpha A camera now... if what I'm reading so far in this thread (EDEADLK) is correct.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Developer
maribou

[ Edited ]

Sean,

I can switch back and forth between 1103 and 1675 using two autoloaders, I've already done it 3 times. Do you think I can continue with the latest SDK toolset while testing on 1103? IDE displays a warning about version discrepancy, but the app still runs on 1103 even if compiled with the Gold SDK release.

Thank you.

Sergei

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

maribou wrote:

Do you think I can continue with the latest SDK toolset while testing on 1103? IDE displays a warning about version discrepancy, but the app still runs on 1103 even if compiled with the Gold SDK release.

There is probably about a month between those builds, so you may run into bugs that have since been fixed, but if your app runs, then it may be okay.. It's really up to you.  Just know that you will have to test on the latest device release eventually before releasing an app.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

@maribou and @nonesuchnick,

Can you try that test app again, but make a change at line 321?

Please try using the front-facing camera by changing the code to:

if (init_camera(CAMERA_UNIT_FRONT) == EOK) {

Then reboot, install, and run the app.

If you were seeing Error 45, you should try taking a picture once, and then wait ~30 seconds, and then try again.  Let me know what errors camera_take_photo() throws.  Thanks!

I cannot reproduce this on the hardware I have here :smileysad:

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
Developer
maribou

smcveigh wrote:

Just know that you will have to test on the latest device release eventually before releasing an app.

I am not sure I can get my hands on a more up-to-date device prior to the 10k deadline.  Oh well, as long as this problem is limited to a small number of the original Alphas, we shouldn't worry about it too much.  What we need is a smooth BlackBerry 10 launch and good market acceptance.  Then both RIM and third-party developers will be ok in the long run.

Please use plain text.