Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer

Re: Non-Functioning Cameras on Dev Alpha Units

sucroid wrote:
How does one bring the camera back up to life after device comes back from standby?

Hey Sucroid,

Let's start another thread for that discussion.  I would like to keep this thread on the specific topic of reporting this Camera failure.

Developer
spoutnik
My Device: DevAlpha, PlayBook

I did a bunch of security wipes and app-loader installtions .. but the problem persists :-(

Has anyone an idea what else to try? 

Developer
lakshman9687
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

Hi,

In my Dev Alpha A device having same camera problem but i am able to run the video at camera dead state also, and i came to know one thing if camera is in dead state then device screenshot(press right side 3 buttons at a time i.e volume up , down, mute buttons) is not working.

Edit: sorry ididnt observe the videos of device cam recorded(previously), those are not comming when camera is in dead state.

Regards,

Lakshman K

----------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.

smcveigh

Okay, I will give an update on the state of things here...

• This problem only affects Dev Alpha A hardware, and appears only to affect a specific hardware revision.  If you want to send me a private message with your device's PIN, that would help me narrow it down further.
  • There is nothing you can do to work around this issue.  Security wipes and reinstalls will not help.  One piece of firmware is apparently incompatible with another piece which is no longer supported by the hardware vendor.
  • Downgrading your device back to an earlier release will allow the camera to function, but I do not recommend this, as you will ultimately need to test your apps against the Gold NDK and latest device builds before releasing them to app world.
  • If you find that you also cannot play videos on your device after trying to start the camera, you should be able to reboot in order to clear this problem.  (the same goes for screenshots)
  • I am still working with DevRel and the RMA folks to see if we can come up with a solution to unblock developers who are currently unable to continue development.

Cheers,

Sean

Contributor
jaydeepw
My Device: Touch 4.5

1. Dev Alpha A

2. Yes

3. 10.0.9.1675

4. Everything is fine here. Only the PhotoBomber demo from cascades sample app doesnt work on my device.

Developer
noahhuang
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha

1. Dev Alpha A
2. Yes
3. 10.0.9.1675
4. Yes
5. Yes.
Developer
pradeep_ch
My Device: Z10

Any update please.........

Thanks.

Developer
nrupayshah
My Device: 8320

1. Dev Alpha A
2. Yes
3. 10.0.9.1675
4. Yes
5. Yes.
6. No photos captured, "camera_take_photo() error 45" message in the console

I want to use flash of camera api. I had tried a lot and failed to use it in my application. As per my thinking flash is not working at all in the dev alpha.

Is it possible to get assistance to make it sucess and to upload and get approval before deadline of 21st january ?

I also want to know about how can I make an application as system module which can capture the event of wrong password entering when device is locked and user is trying to unlock it.

Thanks & Regards

Nrupay shah

smcveigh

nrupayshah wrote:
I want to use flash of camera api. I had tried a lot and failed to use it in my application. As per my thinking flash is not working at all in the dev alpha.

Is it possible to get assistance to make it sucess and to upload and get approval before deadline of 21st january ?

The flash on Dev Alpha A was disabled in the latest update due to a problem whereby it would lock up the device if fired.  CAMERA_FEATURE_FLASH is not available on that particular hardware as a result.  I apologize, but there is nothing we can do about this hardware bug right now.

I am still working on trying to get replacement units made available for developers who are blocked.

Cheers,

Sean

Developer
nrupayshah
My Device: 8320

[ Edited ]

If I will get the working code to enable flash of camera and there will be no need to test it on my alpha device A than it will be very helpful to submit my application before deadline.

Thanks & Regards

Nrupay Shah