Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer
My Carrier: other

Re: Non-Functioning Cameras on Dev Alpha Units

There is a sample which shows how to use flash here:

https://github.com/blackberry/Presentations/tree/master/2012-BlackBerryJam-Americas/JAM15/FlashPhoto

Are you trying to fire the flash while taking photos?  Or do you just want to turn on the video light?  If you only want to turn the led on (eg. a flashlight app), then you don't actually need to start the camera viewfinder to do so.

In any event, let's please take this flash discussion to another thread if you are still having trouble.  I do not want to add extraneous noise to this thread which has a very specific subject.

Please use plain text.
Developer
nrupayshah
My Device: 8320
My Carrier: hutch

Thanks for your immediate response.

I was looking for this only. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sahyslop
My Device: Dev Alpha Ver. A
My Carrier: Rogers

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. It's a Dev Alpha A

2. Yes, I am.  A barcode reader.

3. OS ver 10.0.9.1675

4. A camera icon displays then gives an error message:  "Camera can't be started"

5. Yes, it does, same effect as above.

6. No, it doesn't

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

Thanks everyone for providing device info regarding this problem.  I'll give a quick update on where we stand right now, so that you can manage your expectations...

It still looks like the problem ONLY affects Dev Alpha A hardware.  We have not been able to determine if it's a specific bad batch from the PINs, but we have confirmed that we have no hardware internally here that matches the same profile.  The problem definitely looks like the multimedia processor (used by camera and playback) is locking up, most likely because it is outdated on this hardware.

I was able to RMA one unit so that we can do some post-mortem analysis on what the failure root cause is.  There is insufficient supply of Dev Alpha units to do any exchanges though.

Given that launch is only a couple of weeks away, even if we were able to find the root-cause in the next week and work with vendors to get a fix developed, I don't know that there is another developer release planned or not.  At that point, retail hardware would be available to continue development on.

I want to let you know though, that I will make sure that we root-cause the problem on the failed unit that we are receiving and convince ourselves that the official hardware is not impacted by the same problem.  I've mentioned this before, but the most likely cause for the problem is due to constant advancements of certain drivers which outpaced support from the hardware vendor.  (This is equivalent to how a company like Apple may discontinue support for older laptop hardware on their latest version of OSX.  It is because the newer OS may require features that only their newer hardware supports.)

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sahyslop
My Device: Dev Alpha Ver. A
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Hi Sean,

I've also got a non-functioning unit.  I'm local in the area (Kitchener) and could drop one by the Hub or your office.  Of course, this development has really put me back on developing my app, I'm going to miss the deadline for the Dev special edition and everything because of it.  Hope you can help.

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

Just an update to those interested parties...

I received one faulty unit on RMA today and within about 5 minutes we had this problem root-caused.

A hardware feature that is not supported by the Dev Alpha A is being erroneously reported by a batch of CPUs as supported.  As such, we try to turn it on, and things stop working.

The fix is simple on my end, but I am not sure if there will be any more Dev Alpha software releases which could pick this up.

In any event.. thanks for all of your help in tracking this down.  I am satisfied that the problem will not crop up on a shipping product, as this seems isolated to the older Dev Alpha A CPU.

I will be locking down this thread now, as I don't have anything else to add.  If another release occurs, then you will receive the benefit of the update.

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.
smcveigh

We've just committed the fix to product.

It will appear in the next developer release.  It sounds like there may be another one coming, so stay tuned!

Cheers,

Sean

Please use plain text.