Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
xoorath
My Device: Blackberry Playbook, Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha
Accepted Solution

OSX Support coming?

Hey there,

I'm wondering if we can expect QNX Momentics to be getting an update any time soon?

So far, I'm dissapointed to see that Momentics doesn't have have a full screen mode for OSX Lion, and although it's less expected at this point I would really like to see an update for the retina Macbook Pro. I'm happy to see pixel doubling works as well as it does, but it would be really nice to see text smoothed out in the IDE.

On a plus side, the dock/launchpad icon is beautifuly smooth in comparison to my linux and windows QDE setups.

Is there any offical words of making these changes? Or is this the responsibility of the Eclipse Foundation?

Developer
alopix
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook

Re: OSX Support coming?

I guess this is the responsibility of the Eclipse Project(s). Momentics is just an Eclipse with plugins that provide us with the special project workflow.
As far as I know the full screen mode is already planed for an upcoming Eclipse release (read something in the issue tracker once). I don't think that they will support the retina MacBook any time soon - I guess adding improved graphics for a small number of users is not high priority.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Why would you ask QNX to spend time on those features over actual SDK/OS issues?

Contributor
xoorath

Those are completely different people responsible for those things. They wont yank someone out of the Core OS or NDK team to jump on a tools bug because some guy in a fourm asked about it. Asking for a feature doesn't bump the priority of it either, priorities are assigned by project managers to different PR's based on thier judgment and project deadlines. There is zero harm in requesting a feature, and I don't feel like you should be trying to silence people who want a richer experience developing for this platform because you personally consider other issues more important. That's not for the community to decide.
Contributor
xoorath

You're likely correct on both points. I read that full screen is coming to eclipse as well, which is nice. Hopefully we'll see it brought over to the Momentics release soon after. +1 and you've got the accept unless someone jumps in with a timeline or additional insights. :smileyhappy:
Developer
jamesgibbons
My Device: Dev Alpha, PlayBook

I found from some Eclipse sites, of which Momentics is based off of, that there is a fairly straightforward way to add native OSX Retina support. 

1. Open Finder, click on Applications, navigate to bbndk/ide/macosx/x86/eclipse/

3. Control click on qde.app and select Show Package Contents

4. You need to edit Info.plist and add the key NSHighResolutionCapable with the boolean value of true. Here is the start of the file for me with the key added:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
	   <true/>
	<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
	<string>qde</string>

5. Since OSX likely has a cache of this file, you need to reset the cache. This can be done by copying the application from qde.app to qde2.app. Open qde2.app to ensure Momentics is working properly in high resolution.

6. Delete the original qde.app and rename qde2.app to qde.app

6. Open Momentics and get back to building great apps.

P.S. If you work at RIM, could you please just add this key as a default!!!

Cheers,

James

My latest PlayBook app Photojam!

Find me on Twitter: GoGibbons