Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: none

OTA install bars

Hi,

Is an application in BB10 allowed to download and install apps on the device, and in the case it is possible, how to do it?

The app is supposed to act as a 3rd party store on the device. 

Tnx

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Re: OTA install bars

So far as I know, No.

Apps will only be available for install through AppWorld. However if you have corporate apps that are only applicable to your company there will be a special section in the store to download those.

Unfortunately as soon as there are multiple stores the risk of app piracy increases dramatically... And the app approval process can be circumvented... Making it easier to let bad/malicious code in.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

As steve_web says, this simply isn't possible. The security model of the operating system precludes doing it in any sense which would work for the majority of users.

You could, of course, try to find some way to work with the "development mode" setting, which users can enable, to "sideload" apps the way developers do. I doubt you'd find this an acceptable solution, but it is *the only option you have*.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor

Unfortunately, ”development settings” solution isn’t acceptable.

But if I am not mistaking, there was a talk on BB Jam that it would be possible to distribute signed application in same ways as Android!?  

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I'm not sure what you mean by "in same ways as Android", but if you're referring to how Android apps are distributed outside of the BlackBerry environment, then that's a definite no.

If you mean how Android .bar files are "distributed" by users on the PlayBook, then they're merely using development mode plus some external tools, basically as developers do.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

I think that the concept of "third-party" app store that is available for ordinary Android phone/developer is not supported on BB10 and it never will be.
Contributor

Thank you all .. 

Regards

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

What is the method use for testing apps then?  I'm not talking about on just my device, I need to get a group of people to test my app before I submit it.  Something like the Ad Hoc distribution on iOS.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

We need a way for our clients to load the builds on their phone easily and right now we do not have very many options. The client is not always tech savvy so we need something easy that works on Windows and Mac that they can use to install my builds on their personal device. BlackBerry needs to release an easy to use BAR loading utility ASAP. Scott
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Add the app to the vendor portal and leave in DRAFT mode. Add your testers BBID to your sandbox. Then they can download the app from BBW by being in development mode and entering the app sku number.