Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
LMcRae

Re: OTA install bars

That sounds not bad actually.  Do they download it from App World as if they are buying it or do they have to log into your account and get a link?

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Carrier: O2 Germany

they download it from bb world.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

It's not bad if you don't have an NDA agreement with your client :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Carrier: Verizon

Typically, it is best to have then sign an NDA before you add them to your sandbox. Also, remeber to remove them from your sandbox after the beta period is done, since they will continue to have free access to all of your apps.
Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

I mean we do not have authority to upload our clients' apps to BlackBerry World for the purpose delivering OTA builds.
Please use plain text.
Developer
LMcRae

This seems like a reasonable method as long as this sandbox is per product.  Even if it doesn't maybe it's exceptable. 

<rant>

I have to say that BlackBerry, is close to an epic fail on this one.  I spent way to much time trying to find out how I can get a group of people to test my game before I release it.  This actually encourages people to release apps that aren't well tested,

Clearly the Developer Zone is much better than it was but if you look along the top and see Design, Develop and Distribute, you think all your answers will be found under Distribute.  I couldn't find anything, I actually think most of it pertains to the old BB7 stuff as I am guessing GetJar, Handango and Handmark aren't selling BB10 apps.

</rant>

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zymatic
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

[ Edited ]

superdirt - If you upload the App to Blackberry World and keep it as a DRAFT then no one but you and users who you add to you sandbox account will be able to download, or even see it available.  There is an article on the Blackberry Developer Blog that talks about testing the Payment service using sandbox mode that explains a bit about the sandbox mode.  The article can be found here: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/01/blackberry-payment-services-sandbox/

LMcRea - I think you have to remember that the site http://developer.blackberry.com is the landing page for all development and is not specific to BB10.  Since the ability to develop for BBOS 7 and lower phones is still available, I think its a bit harsh to say its an epic fail.  I'll admit it doesn't explicitly say on the "Distribute" site that those options are not available to BB10 but a simple search in the forums would most likely find you the answers you needed.

Just my 2 cents

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Please use plain text.
Developer
LMcRae

It might not seem so epic if you already knew the answer.  I spent yesterday on this problem.  Also since you could do OTA on BB7 then it should be very clearly stated that you can no longer on BB10.  Listing test services and old BB7 vendors only lead me to believe that I could still do OTA with the bar file.

Sorry this is amateur hour on their part.  Even the sandbox stuff is really sketchy.  Hire a student for a week to log into iOS Provisioning Portal and have them write some simple docs on how to do it for App World. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
superdirt

Zymatic,

I'm not allowed to send builds to parties not covered in our contract. BlackBerry is such a party, and BlackBerry World is owned by them. The only solution is that BlackBerry release a stand alone tool for BAR loading.

Scott
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Carrier: Verizon

I think that there actually are some tools for sideloading .bar files. Personally I find it easier to just use the command line, but I understand that isn't ideal for everyone...

For example check out http://www.filearchivehaven.com/downloads/pb/DDPB%20Installer.msi

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.