Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
becker666
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

PackageID & changing compilers

I struggled getting my 10.1 code to compile on Momentics 10.2 but eventually managed it. When I tried to submit my revision it kept telling me I have a different packageID  I used the same debug tokens/signature files, I had to renew the debug token. Some people said edit the PackageID on the MANIFEST file which I did but still it wouldn't let me submit it. Then I resign manually the mod'ed bar file via cmd line still no cigar ... so lovely.

Last resort was go back to the old 10.1 Momentics and recompile there submit again for the n-th time and it worked

& I was about to nuke it.

So when submitting for an update am I stuck with the old compiler????

Is there some process to handle this???? Somebody mentioned they put the PackageID hash in the later compiler but I coudn't figure out where/how???

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: PackageID & changing compilers

Package-Id is made up from Package-Author-Id and Package-Name.  Package-Author-Id comes from your code signing key/BlackBerry ID Token.

Package-Name is set in the bar-descriptor.xml, found in your project.  

You can view all of these in the manifest file of your BAR file to see which one changed.  These values can't be modified by changing the manifest file in the BAR.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
becker666

Some people mention on the net the Manifest could be changed but I guess there is some sort of a checksum as it didn't like me.

I thought I double checked the PackageName and it was the same on both, I'll triple check it and see if there is a space or something making it different(not the 1st time I'd been hit by something like this)

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

The package name is also case sensitive.  So that's another thing to check.  I've see a lower case l (L) be mistaken for an upper case I (i) before too.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
becker666

[ Edited ]

Looked at the names in hex they are the same, still is giving that msg ... Looked for the file bundle name and tried that one too and it just comes with the same PackageID  error. I'm using different computers do I need to use the same computer too??? I have 10.1 in Win7, and 10.2.1 on an older XP SP3.  Looks like I'm stuck with the old 10.1 for any updates not so cool

Edit: OK FYI for somebody with a similar issue, moved source files to old compiler compiled and generated the bar file just for kicks I copied this bar to the machine with the 10.2 and try to submitted form there same problem, tried again in the machine with the10.1 and it went thru so it seems like it has to be the same machine where it was compiled...so weird and time consuming.:No:

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

[ Edited ]

You do not need to build on the same computer.

Please post the following from the manifest file of your two BAR files.  To view the manifest open the BAR in an archive program like WinZip, and extract manifest.mf from the META-INF directory.  Open that in a text editor and post these values:

Package-Author-Id

Package-Name

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
becker666

[ Edited ]

Have done all of that winzip manipulation on the Manifest file before when trying to replace my hashed key from an older bar which didn't work  ... 

The bar file is the very same just copied over to the machine with 10.2 , I do have a 10.1 version  also in this machine

which was downloaded by the Momentics I think is different than the one on my older box with 10.1 ... installed the bar file on the device from both boxes and it loaded fine ... I used the very same bundle name for both when submitting I have 10.1..  This may not have anything to do with it but renewed the debug files at different date/time on one of the boxes but used the same debug file. 

I have another app I'm almost done with the revision so I'll see if I need to go the same route again to see if it is a pattern. 

Edit: Ok I managed to submit from the machine with the 10.2 but still the bar had to be generated on the 10.1 machine in the Manifest the bar from 10.2 obviously has a slightly different hash. Triple checked package name thru a hex viewer they are the same.

Please use plain text.