Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
chocolatemoose
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Playbook *and* BB10 Icons?

Has anyone had any success with a single app that includes icons for both the playbook and BB10?

The documentation suggests that the OS will select the appropriate icon size for the current device automagically - but I couldn't find an official example of how you're meant to set this up.

I tried including the two icons in the bar-descriptor like this:

<icon>
     <image>Icon114.png</image>
     <image>Icon86.png</image>
</icon>

But when I do this, the first icon (which ever it is) is used every time (either giving me a small icon on the BB10, or giving me a dynamically downsized icon on the playbook ... which doesn't look as good as the precalculated one).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
krum
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: Globul

Re: Playbook *and* BB10 Icons?

Just a suggestion try only with 114 icon for both PlayBook and BB10.  Maybe PlayBoook will scale it?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chocolatemoose
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

Thanks for the suggestion. This is what happens if you just put the 114 icon first in the list ... but unfortunately, the auto-scaling of non-integer multiples doesn't give you anywhere near as nice a result as a photoshop resized icon (resized from a much larger master). So it does work - but it means when I update my app for BB10, all the playbook users will get a worse icon, which is a bit of a shame.

I know I could ship two different builds - but I'd much rather go with a universal build, particularly when the docs suggest there should be a way of providing both icons in the bundle.

Does anyone have this working? Is there some bar-descriptor-fu I'm missing?

Please use plain text.
Developer
step_jac
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

This seems to be working OK with the Gold Master 10.0.9 SDK.

Please use plain text.