Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
arkadiamail
My Device: Playbook

Playbook keyboard layout and additional function keys

I'm wondering, is it possible to extend a standard keyboard layout and add another page to existing symbols pages?

E.g. right now there are two pages for symbols. I would like to see the third one with function keys like:

Esc, F1-F12, Alt, Ctrl, Ins, Del, Home, End, PageUp, PageDn, Arrows, Tab, etc.

If it's not possible, may be there is a way to enter such keys with existing keyboard?

Or modify existing symbols layout and replace it with application specific keyboard.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

New Contributor
igorcosta
My Device: Playbook

Re: Playbook keyboard layout and additional function keys

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

None of this is currently available, but I know there has been discussions regarding arrow keys to be added in some fashion. Maybe all of this can be grouped with that effort. You might want to create a issue ticket so taht this can get in front of the proper people. The NDK virtualkeyboard.h does not have any hooks into the layout of the keyboard.
Developer
lewellyn
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A

I would like to second at least the minimal basics of Tab, Esc, and arrow keys, if someone files the ticket in JIRA. :smileywink:

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! :smileyvery-happy:
BikerRay
My Device: Playbook tablet

Just my $.02... The main problem with the Playbook virtual keyboard is that it's arranged in a regular grid. In any normal keyboard, the keys have each row offset by about 1/3 of a key width. This makes the Playbook harder to use, and a change in the keyboard graphics would be pretty easy to implement.

While I'm at it, the first page of the keyboard would be better off having a dash included, as it's a common symbol when entering URLs.

New Contributor
bazza99
My Device: BB Playbook & Torch

Link doesn't work for me, unfortunately.
New Contributor
bazza99
My Device: BB Playbook & Torch

This would be really useful.  Can't understand why these keys are not already on the keypad?