Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
benhj
My Device: Playbook, bold 9900
My Carrier: Three

Playbook, possible to extend the length of time an app's splash screen remains on screen?

in the bar-descriptor xml file I have

<splashscreen>splash.jpg:splash.jpg</splashscreen>

Is there some attribute that can be added to extend the length of time the sreen is shown? I'm using Qt. Perhaps a QSplashScreen?

Please use plain text.
Developer
step_jac
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Playbook, possible to extend the length of time an app's splash screen remains on screen?

Hi Benhj,

Don't believe there's a way to do this automatically. We did it manually by blitting the screen with the splash screen and fading it out once the app was ready to take over rendering.

Best,

Stephane

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
benhj
My Device: Playbook, bold 9900
My Carrier: Three

Re: Playbook, possible to extend the length of time an app's splash screen remains on screen?

Stephane,

Many thanks for your reply. That's an interesting  approach with the screen blitting and manual fading. I wonder if you're able to point me towards some sample code that can achieve this. No worries if not. Thanks for your help,

Ben.

Please use plain text.
Developer
step_jac
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

In our particular case, it was an OpenGL application (just noticed your QT tag).

We would just load the appropriate splash.png using libpng to a GL texture and draw a full screen quad. This would result in the system splash screen fading down to itself. I suspect in Qt that you may be able to do something similar but I am not too well versed in that universe.

Please use plain text.