Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
kavita038
My Device: Blackberry 9550
My Carrier: Airtel
Accepted Solution

Playbook simulator not starting

Hello everyone, My PC's configuration is: OS - Windows Vista ultimate RAM - 4GB Processor - i3 Graphics driver - ATI Radeon HD 5540 , 1GB DDR3, manufactured by ASUS VMware Player 4.0.3 When VMware player is started and I played tablet simulator (2.0.1), only Black Screen appears after 'starting screen' option. No icons are shown there, It seems not working, completely Black screen is appearing. I searched at forums and found suggestions like install latest graphics drivers , set the vmware priority high , set core processors 2 in vmware, change the resolution of display to 1024*768. I tried with older versions of vmware like 3.0.0, 3.0.1 , 3.1.5 etc. But nothing worked. I need your help, How to resolve this problem to start tablet simulator? Pls HELP.. Thanks
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,924
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook simulator not starting

You'll find that double and triple posting and cross posting in various areas of the forum is frowned upon. It creates confusion for those who desire to help you, it creates unnecessary work for the moderators to clean up, delete or combine multiple threads that have been answered.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Developer
kavita038

[ Edited ]

I am extremely sorry for that.

I did that because I thought, same issue could occur in diff-2 platforms and anyone from any platform , could help in this.

I want to port my android application in playbook but tablet simulator of Android Runtime is not starting , only Black Screen opened. Should I create a thread in Android Runtime development platform?

Anyone could help me please....

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Use drivers directly from ati/amd website. Drivers from asus won't work.

If again does not work, press enter before it shows black screen and try to start it(simulator) in "Safe mode"
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Can you confirm if the simulator is booting up to a black screen of if the android runtime is launching your application into a black screen?  If the simulator is booting to a black screen then please reboot into safe mode or try the 2.0.1/2.0.0 simulators if you're working on BB10. 

Note:  Future releases of the playbook simulator will have android player backed with GPU hardware instead of software based, which will give you a huge performance boost. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
BryceMcMurter
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

hey kavita

I see that you have changed the display resolution to 1024*768. I have tried that same thing in the past and had the exact same issue that you are having. I suggest that you go back into the display options and set it back to "use host setting for monitors" and see if that helps. 

Also make sure that you choose File>Player Preferences>Power off the virtual machine

This will make sure that the changes you are making are actually being made. Once you have the simulator working properly you can change this setting to suspend so that you dont have to wait as long during startup.

hope this helps!

Bryce

Please use plain text.
New Developer
kavita038

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Now playbook simulator is working fine.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
npixo
My Device: Playbook 8GB
My Carrier: E-Plus

[ Edited ]

Hi, same problem here.

I tried everything. new Graphiccards drivers, increasing ram etc.

Simulator 2.0 runs in Safe Mode fine, in regular mode it just shows a black screen.

For testing purposes i installed NDK + Simulator 1.0.8 . Everything just works fine here.

I can compile my projects, upload them to the simulator etc. 

Now i need it get done for Simulator 2

Thx for your help,

npixo

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
npixo
My Device: Playbook 8GB
My Carrier: E-Plus

Ok. i found a solution. i installed an older version of the VMPlayer found here

VMware-player-4.0.4-744019.exe

now everything works just fine also with simulator 2 and NDK 2.1 beta