Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook simulator not working

Can you verify that your video card has the latest drivers installed?  VMware seems to have some issues detecting some Intel graphics cards.  

Also, please go in an edit your vmx file and change

virtualHW.version = "7"

to

virtualHW.version = "8"

Since you said you have version 4.0.2 of VMWare installed this change will force the VMWare out of compatibility mode and might resolve this issue. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
codefactory
My Device: simulator
My Carrier: none

The video card seems to be updated, and I have changed the virtualHW.version parameter to 8 and the result is that the virtual machine wouldn't start anymore. Reverting back to virtualHW.version=7 would make the VM start as before
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I am seeing a very similar problem with the Simulator I downloaded today:

"BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-1.0.8-6067-Win-201112052354.exe"

However the Simulator I got from DevCon Europe

"BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-2.0.0-7109-Win-201201041944.exe"

and the old 1.0.8 Simulators work fine.

I am using VM Player 4.0.2 build-591240.  I am running on a Win XP SP3, fully up-to-date system.

The problem I am seeing is:

a) When I click on the Settings, there is clearly a panel being scrolled down and I get the little up arrow (carat?) at the bottom as I should.  I can click on that to close it too.  However nothing else happens.

b) When I click on the developer icon, the screen goes 'lighter'.  It goes darker again when i click again. 

c) When I click on the Browser, I get what looks like a Browser window but nothing happens (it is just dark grey).  When I swipe up to close this, I get the usual Browser close I expect. but inside that window, then is another Browser close Window (complete with Browser bar and close x on the right) inside the Browser close window.  Very weird.

d) Startup takes a long time, and I don't see the 'Playbook' splash icon douring it.

Can supply screen shots if required.

Responding to the suggestions made to the other poster:

a) II have waited. 

b) Since the "hardware" change did not work for the other poster, I have not tried it. 

Am going to try the Sim from DevCon to try to get the samples working now. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
codefactory
My Device: simulator
My Carrier: none

Peter,

what you describe is exactly what I am experiencing with my simulator BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-1.0.8-6067-Win-201112052354.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Peter,

Can you send over some screen shots of these problems and also details of your video card?  Since you're on windows XP, you can just run dxdiag and save the ouptput. 

What version of the 1.0.8 simulator were you using that worked?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

[ Edited ]

Attached please find

1) Screen shot of result when I click on the 'settings'.  Note the close caret at the bottom

2) Screen shot of me attempting to close the Browser.

These are the more dramatic results, every thing else is probably too subtle to be obvious.  I have reduced the resolution of these to save bandwidth.

3) Unfortunately, I can't seem to collect all the output, directX gets stuck collecting direct play, which seem to be related to my network.  I disabled the network and ran it again, and got the attached.  I hope this is OK.

These have been added in a different order, hope you can figure it out.....

I'd like to pass the DevCon Simulator to the other poster, but it is probably a bit large for attaching or email.  Perhaps the other poster could PM with some FTP details and I will send the file there. 

Edit missed the 1.0.8 SImulator question.  The file that I installed was:

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-1.0.8-6067-Win-201112052354.exe

And sorry this is possibly a dumb question.  But to me if the VM ware is the same, the fact that one SImulator runs perfecly and the other runs but produces funny results woud indicate a problem with the second Simulator and not the VM player or any hardware external to it would it not?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jasoncar
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I've run into this problem myself (just tonight, in fact --  have been doing the majority of my dev on my pb since getting it).  

Forunately, I recently went through a format and reboot and have a snapshot of my previous system).

My new system (same machine) experiences the same problems described in this thread with the 2.0.0 and the 2.0.1 simulators (fresh installs). However, when I copied over the 2.0.0 vm directory from my archive drive to the new system (last used in March), it works.

Having compared the vmx files, etc and tinkered:

• the vmxf files are identical
  • changing virtualHW.version = "8" has no effect.
  • the working 2.0.0 had the line tools.syncTime = "FALSE" ... no effect copying that over
  • disabling 3d acceleration in vmware had no effect
  • The only differences left in vmx file are in the lines :
    • uuid.location, uuid.bios, ethernet0.generatedAddress -- no effect when changed to older vals

The old system player has been in a suspended state. Having the original backup copy, I restarted it (through the pb power icon, not vmware). Noticed the animated boot screen immediately -- which had not been appeared in the recently installed sims... It did, however, restart fine.

Then I shutdown (again from the pb power icon, not vmware...)  -- It restarted fine as well.

The version of the working sim is 2.0.0.7109, if that helps.

Regards, 

Jason Carter

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Just did a clean build on a Win 7 PC.  Worked fine.  Realised in fact I had downloaded a new Simulator

BlackBerryPlayBookSimulator-Installer-2.0.1-358-Win-201204101538.exe (2.0.1)

so tried this on the old Win/XP system and unfortunately see same results as before. 

So something in my setup.  But what.....

Same VM player installed, Same Simulator installed.  Works on the Win 7 PC.  Desn't work on mine.  Needle in haystck trying to figure this one out I expeect, but has anyone got any ideas?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jasoncar

Where I left off last night was reading through different forum postings of vmware recommending to remain with version 7 of workstation or player (Having something to do with a bug in the latest WDDM drivers for windows). Having read that, I uninstalled version 8 player and installed an old copy of workstation 7. No dice.

So far playing with settings after that has been fruitless.

Updating drivers now; failing that magically fixing things, I'll uninstall my ATI drivers and try again with the vanilla Microsoft drivers.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
jasoncar

No luck with the multiple uninstalls/reinstalls of the drivers. I suppose I'll just make do with the 2.0.0 simulator that's still running (and my pb) for now. 

Please use plain text.