Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
khutchinson
My Device: tablet

Playbook software development getting started

I'm an experienced software developer. Bought a playbook cause the price was right and thought it was a slick system. But wow, am I missing something important getting started. I've never been a fan of Eclipse, but I've got the

QNX® Momentics IDE running and building the examples to the playbook. Why is everything at such a low level? Where are all the graphical tools and API's? Sprites, menus, radio boxes, there's not even a built in dialog box. I want to use C++, what are my choices? The web sites seem to be pointing me at AIR. Is that what people use? A 3rd party kit?

thanks

Ken

Developer
JohnPinkerton
My Device: Curve 8900 (Personal) / Bold 9650 (Work)

Re: Playbook software development getting started

You can use Cascades for your UI, then C++ for your heavy lifting. See also Creating User Interfaces.

Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook

I dont believe cascades is supported on the playbook yet.

You can use Qt Creator and use the Qt widgets or qml to build your ui and develop for the playbook, thats what I do as I also dislike eclipse.

I ported over the symbian qml components for the playbook that are posted up on here somewhere too.... They work fine and look OK too...

See here for some more info: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/How-to-port-your-Qt-Projects-to-Playbook/m...

Cheers,

Jon

New Contributor
khutchinson
My Device: tablet

Wow, this is very disappointing. I've been impressed with the playbook hardware and the OS, plus wanted to support a canadian company. Too bad the tools are so poor. I don't want to have to !@#$ around to install third party tools, I expect them to work. If you want to see what I mean, install the microsoft visual studio for windows mobile. That's how it should work. RIM management should be ashamed. Bad planning.

Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Adobe AIR and the Web SDK are meant for GUI apps. :smileyhappy:

Or you just could use OpenGL for everything UI related :smileyvery-happy: