Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
MagicSap
My Device: PlayBook Developer
Accepted Solution

Possible to have a directory structure under the app/native file system?

I've set up some assets in bar-descriptor.xml, some of which are files (in the root) and some of which are folders (which have files and other subfolders within them).

If I inspect 'BAR Packages' using the IDE everything seems to look OK, ie:

AppName.bar
+ native
   - File 1
- File 2
+ Folder
- File 3
- File 4

From code, I can call fopen() on the files in the root (File 1 and File 2 in the above example) and read them without problem.  However, any attempt to check for the existence of the folder with stat() or attempt to iterate it with opendir()/readdir() fails completely, as if it doesn't exist.

In fact, I've tried iterating the contents of the root app/native folder with opendir()/readdir() in order to see what's there and that fails too (opendir() returns NULL).

I'm beginning to think that directory operations on app/native simply aren't possible.  Am I missing something?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Possible to have a directory structure under the app/native file system?

Probably you need to read this https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.devguide/com.qnx.doc.na...

Also note that to get from the current directory, when your app is running, to the files in the native folder, you'd need to reference them under the "app" symlink, thus "app/native/yourfiles".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MagicSap

Thanks, I've been over that page you linked several times before and I'm reasonably certain I've got this right because I can open any file in the root OK.  I'm prepending all paths with the path returned by getcwd() to get the current working directory, so in slight pseudocode:

fopen(<cwd>/app/native/File 1) works OK

fopen(<cwd>/app/native/Folder/File 3) fails

An example of the full path I'm supplying to fopen would be something like:

"/accounts/1000/appdata/com.example.AppName.testDev__Name260b725b/app/native/Fonts/FontDefault.fnt"

I suppose a better question is : is anyone successfully using nested directories under app/native?

If so, I'm doing something wrong.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

I'd suggest NOT bothering with the path joining like that, simply because it should be entirely unnecessary. No sane app would change its own working directory while running (except in very special cases perhaps), so you're merely doing what the OS would be doing anyway. Just using fopen(app/native/File 1) should work equally well in other words.

As for the nesting... I don't really know what the "BAR Packages" view is showing you, but in case it's not an accurate picture of what's actually in your .bar file, I suggest you "unzip" one and verify that it really matches.

Also, if you're installing with -devMode (and if you're not signing these, then you are) you should be able to use the IDE to navigate the actual device filesystem and inspect the app's own folder to verify whether things are where you think they should be.

You can also do this with SSH, but there's no point as you're using the IDE already and it has the navigator right there when you're connected.

For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble accessing files in nested folders like that, except when -- as it turned out -- I didn't actually have them included properly in my .bar file, and a simple inspection always showed me that.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
smcveigh
My Device: developer

have you tried unzipping your bar file to check the contents?  (rename .bar to .zip)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
MagicSap

Thanks for all your help everyone, after some messing around I've managed to solve my problem(s)!

I changed my code to use a relative path (app/native) rather than constructing an absolute path based upon the working directory.  This didn't fix anything but helped make paths easier to deal with in general (note : the PlayWavFileMakefile sample should probably be changed to use the relative method, since this is where I copied it from).

Next, I changed the .bar file to a .zip to inspect the contents and used the IDE's system information perspective to inspect my app's mounted volume at runtime.  Being new to this platform, I hadn't realised that you could do either of these things - everything checked out OK, but this gave me full confidence that the problem was most likely in my code and not to do with the OS or my bar packaging.

Finally I found I had two problems:

-  The first was to do with a silly mistake when using the QNX-specific dirent_extra_stat structure to work out if a file item was a file or a directory during iteration of the directory tree.

- The second problem was difficult to find but easy to solve.  I found that I could iterate directories using opendir()/readdir() successfully, but only on the main thread.  Most of my file access is on a worker thread however, and this failed.  By inspecting the file system's errno on failure I found that it was reporting out of memory.  I realised that I needed to use a larger stack size when creating the thread, and everything then worked OK.  Interestingly, I was only using a small stack of 4K which worked fine on WIndows, OS X, iOS and Android but I had to increase it to 32K for the PlayBook.  Most likely, QNX is using the stack for a lot of its working variables here and the other platforms favour the heap.

I hope this may help someone else in future.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

Thanks for summarizing your investigation and the real reasons behind your problem. I wish all others would do the same! :-)

Please use plain text.