Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
jgvtoo
My Device: Z10, Q10, Bold 9900
Accepted Solution

Push a message out of an app to a named recipient - impossible?

Long story short, I am building an alarm. When the alarm triggers, if it is not reset within a short time, I want to be able to send a message (BBM would be best, text second best, and so on down the line) to a specific person/contact which is set in the user preferences. This is one message (as a bit of a fail safe) to a single contact/person who would have to be in the user's Contact list. I'm prepared to alert the user that this may incur data charges and so on and so forth.

Is this possible either directly from the app or indirectly through some other mechanize?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: Push a message out of an app to a named recipient - impossible?

You can programmatically compose a BBM message that is shown to the user to send, but it's up to them to press the send button.  You could send an SMS message.

Another option is to use the BlackBerry Push Service to push a message directly to your application.  Your application could then alert the user.  You can send push messages from one BlackBerry Smartphone to another.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Contributor
jgvtoo

Good info. Not sure I see a solution yet though. This is an alarm that shows/acts on the user's device to get the user's attention - does that just fine right now. What I want to do is to take it to the next level - so the user doesn't respond to the alarm (who knows why) and I'd like to automatically (from the app, without user interaction) send a message to another person (not necessarily another user of my app) to alert them of the first person not responding to the alarm in the hopes that they (the second person) will see it and take action.

Hmmm. Think of it as setting the bedside clock alarm at the hotel for 6 AM and then telling the front desk to give you a wake up call at 6:15 if you haven't called them before that and told them not to call. Sorta kinda.

I'd be happy to send a BBM (which doesn't seem possible), or a text message (again, can I do that without user interaction to actually send?). Sending a Twitter message or updating a FaceBook status or BBM status seems not direct/urgent enough.

MSohm

For my suggestion, I'm assuming user 2 also has the application installed.  If they don't then you'd be limited to sending an SMS message.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
jgvtoo

[ Edited ]

But, correct me if I am wrong, I cannot send a SMS directly (without user action to "send"), from within my app, to another device. I would need to go through a middleman/service of some sort. Or so I understood.

MSohm

SMS goes over the carrier network.  So both devices would need to be active on a cellular network.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
jgvtoo

Rethinking this a bit. Can I automatically, with prior permission, from within the app update a user's BBM status? Fully automatically? I've heard from others that I could do this with Twitter - send a tweet for the user. But would rather use BBM......

MSohm

No, BBM status updates require user validation.  They need to click on the OK button before it'll take place.

Mark Sohm

New Contributor
jgvtoo

Twitter it is then. Many thanks.