Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
dkonigs
My Device: Bold 9900

QML Preview not working in Fedora

[ Edited ]

So I've long since gotten everything in place for the NDK to work perfectly fine on my Fedora (x86_64) machines.  It was just a matter of hunting down the right 32-bit libraries and installing them.

Now I'm trying to get the newest BB10 tools working, including the QML preview feature.  I've noticed that this feature depends on two libraries that are not in the Fedora 16 repositories:

libOSMesa.so.6

libjpeg.so.8

Without these libraries installed, opening the QML editor causes an error popup complaining about them missing.  So I went ahead and found the Ubuntu packages for them, extracted the libraries, and copied them into place on my machine.  I've tried several sources/approaches with similar results, but have most recently used these sources:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric-updates/libosmesa6

http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/libjpeg8

Once all these libraries are installed, the missing library errors go away.  Instead, opening the QML preview window now shows the following purple text in the terminal window I launched the NDK IDE from:

WRN: TJIZ failed: /usr/local/jenkins/workspace/cs4-BB10_0_04-uifw-linux-x86/uifw/server/presentationengine/Kastor/core/graphicsengines/src/mgegl2_shader.c:959

WRN: TJIF failed: /usr/local/jenkins/workspace/cs4-BB10_0_04-uifw-linux-x86/uifw/server/presentationengine/Kastor/core/graphicsengines/src/mgegl2_shader.c Line 1146
        Statement: tr = _MGEGL2_CompileShader(g, pProgram, pcName)
        Information: Error 0x80000002: Out of memory

WRN: TJIZ failed: /usr/local/jenkins/workspace/cs4-BB10_0_04-uifw-linux-x86/uifw/server/presentationengine/Kastor/core/graphicsengines/src/mgegl2_shader.c:1244

WRN: TJIZ failed: /usr/local/jenkins/workspace/cs4-BB10_0_04-uifw-linux-x86/uifw/server/presentationengine/Kastor/core/graphicsengines/src/mgegl2.c:1207

I'm not sure what these errors mean, but it seems like pretty direct information for someone at RIM with access to the source code.  So any ideas?

P.S. I've tried various ways of making these libraries available, and they all ultimately have the exact same results. 

The only other possible bit of useful information is that I have the nVidia graphics drivers installed on the machine.

I also tried switching to Fedora's own "nouveau" drivers, which actually causes the IDE to do an outright segfault when I open the QML editor (instead of just not showing the preview and dumping those messages to the console).

Please use plain text.
Developer
Marc_Paradise
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: QML Preview not working in Fedora

It's also not working on ubuntu oneiric 64 bit .   At startup it says:

"/opt/bbndk/10.0.4-beta/target/linux/x86/usr/lib/libQtCascades-IDE.so: libOSMesa.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory"

I did install the requisite libs via the ubuntu package.  

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Please log a bug, being sure to include your actual email. From within Eclipse:

Help > Report a Bug...

Once done please reply back and I will be sure to get it escalated to development.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs

Okay, bug reported as suggested, currently in the system as TOOL-1008

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Thanks, will escalate shortly.

Just to note that it may get rejected due to Fedora not being officially supported, but you will be able to see all changes as they occur.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs

Okay, I see the issue was rejected out of hand, as expected.

If I'm now going to find a spare hard drive and install Ubnutu, just so you'll pay attention to my bug report, can I get away with the latest version of Ubuntu that people actually run (12.04), or do I have to run a year old version no actual users care about anymore? (11.04)

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Ubuntu *should* function as expected, so really if you use Ubuntu there should be no need to log this bug :smileywink:

Testing was likely focused on Ubuntu 11.04, but Ubuntu in general should function the same way. If it fails I will push to make sure we get any bug logged investigated.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs

Okay, I just reproduced the same issue on my laptop, which is freshly reinstalled with Ubuntu :-)

Going to send another bug report soon, and hopefully you'll actually look at it this time.

I'm seriously thinking its some weird conflict between the nVidia driver's libraries and libOSMesa.

Before spending all the time on this, I did a quicker Ubuntu install into VirtualBox, obviously not using the nVidia drivers, and the QML preview window actually worked.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dkonigs

Issue reproduced on the "officially supported" OS, and resubmitted as TOOL-1041.

While technically unrelated, I think the answer to Marc's issue is a step that I think is omitted from the docs at present:

$ sudo apt-get install libpng3:i386 libosmesa6:i386

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Thanks for logging! As you are now using an OS listed as supported development should be able to investigate further. You will receive updates as they become available through the Issue Tracker Item.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.