Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: QML obfuscation

@BBSJdev in app for free apps would theoretically be the same, because only the purchase initates the payment service unless the app itself is paid then it should go through the encryption 

but it appears that qrc is only visually appealing

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

This is a good point. My app is a "freemium" product. The download and basic features are free to download and use, but enhanced features are unlocked via in-app purchases. My application QML would be wide open if someone obtained the bar file, even though a legit user would have to pay for full features.

That said, quite a bit of the hard stuff in my app is written in C++ so figuring out that stuff would be more difficult. I'm in the midst of a complete ground-up rewrite just now, and my new version will have just about all program code in C++ with only the page layouts in QML so I guess that will be more secure against reverse engineering.

slashkyle wrote:

@BBSJdev in app for free apps would theoretically be the same, because only the purchase initates the payment service unless the app itself is paid then it should go through the encryption 

but it appears that qrc is only visually appealing

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Brennan12325
My Device: None
My Carrier: Telus

At the end of the day, if somebody got a hold of my QML, it would probably be quicker for them to rewrite it all in their own style then to try to reimplement my c++ code-behind, so I don't see this as a very serious issue.

----------------------
Check out my app, Alien Flow for reddit

And of course, like my post if you found it helpful or informative!
Please use plain text.