Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook

QML symbian qt-components for PlayBook!

Hi All,

I managed to get the symbian qt-components working on the playbook, they are symbian style but look good on the pb in my opinion. http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qt-components-symbian/examples-symbian-gallery.html

To use them just add the standard import to your qml file as you would for symbian:

import com.nokia.symbian 1.1

Then you need to add the qt-components imports folder (attached)  to the qml folder in your project directory, I have attached the imports folder with the components and plugins that I prebuilt for the playbook proc. Assuming that you add the qml folder to the bar package in the pro file like this:

-e qml qml \

You just need to put the imports folder into the qml folder and you will be good to go.

That's it, enjoy the components on the PlayBook!!

Cheers,

Jon

Developer
i68040
My Device: Classic

Re: QML symbian qt-components for PlayBook!

Hi jheron,

Were you able to get the qt library built on Windows? I have the NDK + simulator working, just need to figure out how to get the qt library built so I can start using it...

Contributor
Cedrik
My Device: None - Playbook only.

Hi i68040,

To be able to use QT in QNX Momentics on windows, I compiled it on linux (I used a virtual machine) and I copied the STAGE folder to windows. After that, I changed the settings of a project to use Qt libs.

Hope it helps.

Developer
jheron

Sorry 168040, I dropped windows over a year ago. If you don't want to install linux you can just run it from a cd (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD), then compile the libs from there.

The components I attached above are already compiled and ready to go on the pb but likely wont work in the sim as they are built for the armle-v7.

I remember seeing a configure.exe in the BB Qt port. Did you try to configure them from windows with that?

I am not sure if your familiar with building Qt libs or not but you need to configure them with the configure utility before you 'make'  them.

Perhaps this link will help? http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/configure-options.html

Good luck!

Jon

Developer
jheron

Here is a couple examples of the beauty ui's you can build using Qt's qml with the symbian components. These are screen shots I took right off the playbook today...

Contributor
Cedrik

[ Edited ]

aaahhh...it's nice! I'll look into that.

Edit:

I tried to use the symbian components on the playbook but I get this error :

"com.nokia.symbian" is not installed

The imports folder is present in the qml folder like you said. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Any idea?

Developer
jheron

I use the Qt SDK to design and code the app, the nokia simulator works well for quick testing I find too...

Qt creator will complain about the components not being installed if you have not installed the Symbian components from the updater but they should work fine once deployed to the device, what's giving you the error, the playbook or the sim?

If your using creator I would recommend installing the components from the update tool, then you can use the designer without any complaints.

The above ui's were done by my bro, Keats Pascoe, in about 1 month he hammered out 3 quality apps with Qt Quick, he is a savant! lol

Hang on and I will upload my initial components test code...

Cheers,

Jon

Developer
jheron

[ Edited ]

Here is the test code I ran to get them working, a signed bar file is included. Its just a component 'Button' but obviously you can test any of the symbian components you want...

Cheers,

Jon

http://www.mediafire.com/?00ketmhlo3iqo4r

Contributor
azazello
My Device: Playbook Tablet

[ Edited ]

Jon  - thank for adobting this components. it's really looks great!

Cedrik - to avoid "com.nokia.symbian" is not installed message add a <env var="QML_IMPORT_PATH" value="app/native/qml/imports"/> to bar-description.xml
PS:*.so files not-strippedin import.zip archive
/rgds
Andrey Yaromenok aka azazello
Contributor
Cedrik

@Azazello, thanks ! I didn't thought of this env. variable.