Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

Re: QML symbian qt-components for PlayBook!

"PS:*.so files not-strippedin import.zip archive "

I believe the plugins (*.so) are needed in the imports folder, no? Have you tried without them?

If they are not needed then I will happily remove them! The Qt libs are bloated enough.

For the Android port of the components that Koying did, he put the component plugins in a separate folder for deploying to the Android assets system. That just made me assume the components needed them?

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azazello
My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: MTS

just check libsymbianplugin_1_1.so - it's include a bridge to native sub-system (so, it's reqired for QML files), but was it ported to BB? (looks like SBatterInfo display a wrong value, for example, can be some other places).

not stripped *.so - I mean Unix strip utility (remove unnecessary info from release files) - but it's not so important for file size, like in some other builds
818211 Feb 18 20:58 libsymbianplugin_1_1.so (not stripped)
718336 Feb 21 14:49 libsymbianplugin_1_1.so (stripped)

/rgds
Andrey Yaromenok aka azazello
Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron

[ Edited ]

Oh I see what you mean! Thanks!

I am fairly new to liux and am just a hobbyist programmer with allot to learn yet!

No, I did not port anything, (other than change the native size to 1024x600) I just built the components and plugins against the 2.0BETA3 NDK using the blackberry-armv7le mkspecs. 

I suspect that the batterInfo that you see in the components plugin is from the StatusBar that's built into the pageStack component, the StatusBar is for Symbian phones and is probably specific to them. I am using the pageStack element in my pb apps but I turn off the status and tool bars in it.

PageStackWindow{
    id:mwindow
    anchors.centerIn: parent
    initialPage: recMain
    showStatusBar: false
    showToolBar: false
}

The standard way to retrieve batteryinfo etc. with Qt has been through the mobility plugin, I suspect that some of that may be working already on QNX but I have not tried yet...

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azazello

Thank you for QML tips - I am new in this stuff  and was looking for such solution :smileywink:

BatteryInfo was just a example - but I check native API - it's no public API to get level of battery - so, it can't be ported to TabletOS right now (via qt-components or QtMobile).

And, I believe - it's a number of other cases, which just can't be implemented at present moment, or required a C++ porting  (NetworkInfo is a next possible case ).

/rgds
Please use plain text.
Contributor
azazello

just make some investigation about qt-components:

- symbian style a bit-different from playbook native style

- meego components code implement similar components, use much more clear code, than symbian, but use more C++ related code (like X11 dependency, which not exist in playbook).

- it's a big differents in display components on Simulator (PC/Qml) and Playbook.

- antialiasing on playbook make a bit complicated to calculate correct color values (for gradient)

- Fonts also a bit different.

I make a draft of Switch button on QML - see a results on screenshot

(left: symbian switch + my switch on Simulator/Linux , centerTop - same on Paybook(both switches looks different), center bottom - native Playbook switch). I will make a bit more investigation - but looks like it's possible to implement QML components, which will looks like Native on playbook :smileywink:

test.png

/rgds
Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron

Looks good Andrey!

I know the meego components also use opengles shaders so that would likely be a better fit for the pb. Kate over on the necessitas board has had success porting the meego components to droid: http://groups.google.com/group/android-qt/browse_thread/thread/39b7d848c3ee8c7d

The problem with meego components for me is that they don't have the same components as the symbian ones hence why I stuck with symbian... Less code for me to change! :Whistling:

Anything is possible with qml, I heard rumor that the cascade ui designer is just a set of qml components anyways?

I find that qml is not so smooth on the playbook at present though, the lists are a little jerky, the button presses are delayed and the page transitions with the pagesStack component are terrible. I am hoping this gets resolved as the port matures... Sooner than later hopefully...

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
firstLeaf
My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: boost

what is qml. How do you learn about this stuff. How long does it take to learn it
Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron

qml AKA Qt Quick, is a declarative language built on the cross platform Qt c++ framework. Its made for creating professional looking mobile ui's quickly. You can also use it to build just the ui and then interface it with your existing Qt c++ code's easily.

I found it very intuitive and quick to learn.

Download the Qt SDK and start developing, it has many built in tutorials and examples to get you started.

http://qt.nokia.com/downloads

Good luck!

Jon

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron

Its also nice if you work with designers for your UI's. You can import a ps or gimp image right in to qml code!

Its pretty slick!

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2010/10/19/exporting-qml-from-photoshop-and-gimp/

http://doc.qt.nokia.com/qtcreator-2.4/quick-export-to-qml.html

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Contributor
azazello

[ Edited ]

small update: I can't find a radioButton and something like QtGroups - if they exists on PB :smileyhappy: and UI style guides will be very useful :smileywink:

also, with introduction of OS2 appear a new switchButton & comboBox (in email>settings) - just looks a bit different

and for screen below - I write some components, based on Nokia for symbian/desktop (this version use raster part instead of vector - as on screen above - due to difficulties in AntiAliasing).

button/awitch/horizontal line already works corretly, while a comboBox will be a big issue (and maybe it's hard to integrate to Qml Designer). checkBox and button with icon I will ad later.

IMG_00000014.jpg

PS; when I will stabilyze a code - I will publish it to some shared git repo place :smileywink:

/rgds
Please use plain text.