Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

QScriptEngine on Headless app

Hello!

I'm trying to use QScriptEngine on the headless part of an app. The app is the Momentics sample app and I just added a reference for a QScriptEngine instance.

But the moment I create the instance, the Headless part is killed. So I can imagine the memory requirements is just too high.

Can anybody confirm that QScriptEngine can or cannot run on the headless part of an app?

Thanks!

Cheers!
Developer

Re: QScriptEngine on Headless app

Hello again,

After reading again through the documentation, I came up with more questions related to my original question:

• Does the time limit of 20 seconds apply for short-running headless app even if I'm debugging it? In other words, If I'm using the debugger to step through the code of the headless part, I only have 20 seconds to do so before it's killed?
  • Does the 3MB memory limit also apply for long running headless apps? If so, is there a way to ask for a bit more resources in order to have the QScriptEngine running on the headless part?

I also tried allocating the QScriptEngine on the stack but the headless part was also terminated.

Looking forward to your insights!

Cheers!
Developer

So ... 2 weeks already with more than 100 views and no one can answer any of my questions?
Are my questions too hard to answer? Are they hard to understand?
Please let me know if I can improve on it.
Cheers!
Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10 LE, DevAlpha C, PlayBook

The question is perfectly fine, I think there's no one who have tried this yet. Does it work in non-headless part of the app?

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange

Try compiling your headless component as a regular cascades app (create a new project, copy the code across etc). Then run & debug it as normal. That will help you determine if there is a bug that is causing the headless process to crash.

If everything works ok then most likely you are running up against the 3mb memory limit (yes it applies to long-running process also).
Developer

QScriptEngine works just fine on the UI part of my application.

I found another interesting link about headless apps:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development-Knowledge/Memory-limits-of-a-Headless-app/...

But it still doesn't answer my questions.

Cheers!