Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Qt, QML and Qt Creator - Are there many people using it?

I am really curious if there are lots of people using this technology right now?

I also would like to ask if you are experiencing the following issues:

- Deployment from Qt Creator to Playbook is really, really slow (Momentics -> Playbook is much, much faster) - both on Windows and Linux (Ubuntu 12.04).

It stays at Info: Sending request: Install for a very long time and sometimes I even get a reset message.

- QML apps do not accept touch. I have a rectangle, a mouse area and Qt.close(). It doesn work. (QtWidgets work).

Also on windows I get this kind of debugging error:

"The preferred debugger engine for debugging binaries of type 'unknown-unknown-unknown-unknown-unknown' is not aailale. The debugger engine 'Gdb engine will be used as a fallback. Details: The CDB debug engine does not support the uknown-unknown... uknown ABI.

Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook

Re: Qt, QML and Qt Creator - Are there many people using it?

I have been using it for playbook development since NDK 2.0, with no major issues or problems. I have not tried momentics so I am not sure of the speed difference.

If your using the stock method (from the bb Qt SDK posted on git hub https://github.com/blackberry/Qt/downloads) of copying the qt libs over to the device, then you are copying almost 80mb of data each time and it will take forever.

See here for some alternate methods of deploying only the libs that you need: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/How-to-port-your-Qt-Projects-to-Playbook/m...

I find it works quite well for developing but I have some experience with Qt coding in general, many here seem to prefer Momentics.

I have no issues with touch in any of my qml or Qt widget apps and the debug output also works from the latest Qt creator. 

I am running Fedora though and not windows...

Cheers,

Jon

Developer
BikeAtor
My Device: Playbook

I'm not using QML and I don't have peformace issues (Using Windows XP in a Virtual Box). It takes about one minute to deploy and start the app at the playbook from inside QtCreator. My App has a size of about 9MB. So I think the time is OK for transfering all data over Wifi. I love to have it run directly on the Playbook and not in a simulator. I'm crosscompiling for many different Systems, but at the moment I love to compile it for the Playbook. Mostly I doesn't start it under Windows or Linux to test it. But read the posts mentioned by Jon. It may save you much time ;-)
New Contributor
victorng
My Device: Blackberry 10 DevAlpha

Hi,

I'm developing on a MacBook Pro laptop with Qt 2.6.1 and Qt5 for a Blackberry 10 DevAlpha.

I also get the:

Info: Sending request: Install

message going for a long, long time. 

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

However, previously I was using Qt 2.6.0 and Qt 4.8.4 and the deployment of my

apps was very fast. Not sure if it's hanging, or if the install is just taking a long time.

Could it be that the phone only has Qt4 libraries and its manually installing Qt5 libraries

with my deployment?

Victor

Developer
Zingam

If the libraries are not present on the device it creates a huge .bar file and then uploads it to the devices and that is very slow.

Momentics allows for incremental builds/uploads. Unfortunately the Qt Creator plug-in does not support that.

New Contributor
victorng
My Device: Blackberry 10 DevAlpha

Thanks for the information. I guess it's probably more practical to focus on Qt 4.8.4 for now. Qt 5 is interesting, but these delays in the build and test cycle make it impractical to work with.

Victor

Developer
Zingam

[ Edited ]

I don't know why but on qt-project.org they do not recommend Qt 5 for anything but experiments at this point.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building-Qt5-for-Blackberry

Actually you could build and test your application on the desktop and then port it to the real device. At least that's what my intentions are.

Or maybe you can use Momentics for the incremental builds.  It's probably better to use it if your application uses lots of assets. That's my understanding.

Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook

You can just upload the Qt4 or Qt5 libs to the device and then point the env variables to them. There is no need to upload the libs each time, this works on the playbook and dev alpha.

See here for a better explanation:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Deploying_Qt_to_a_central_place_on_Blackberry_devices

Cheers,

Jon