Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
pushpendrak
My Device: Playbook OS2, Dev Alpha C

Qt libraries in Playbook beta 2.1

can somebody tell me if Qt Lis are included in Playbook 2.1 beta OS, as i've seen in NDK, it is included.

that means i can build Qt app for 2.1 also

My page on: App World
Check out my Apps 1). QFileExplorer 2). My ABCD
System Explorer APPID: 35601892
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Qt libraries in Playbook beta 2.1

The 2.1.0.560 beta has no libQt* files anywhere in it, so the answer is no.

That shouldn't stop you, however, as many of us have built Qt following the instructions (http://qt-project.org/wiki/QNX) and are happily building Qt apps for the PlayBook right now. The downside is that you have to bundle the libraries with your app, which adds roughly 10MB to the .bar size.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

So there is no hope to get Qt or even Cascades on a playbook before BB10 official release and even then we'll have to way to get it on a playbook?

I cannot figure out what are the exact plans about Qt and Qt Creator. Will they ever be officially supported? Will they be part of the NDK, a separate download or part of the official Qt SDK? Or we'll need to download and compile them for ourselves.

How will Qt 5.0 fit within the Cascades framework? Will Cascades be Qt 4.x or Qt 5.x based?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

There is hope we'll get Cascades on the PlayBook before BB10 release, but I think it's a faint hope. Possibly we'll get it in a beta form before the BB10 release... maybe not.

I *think* QtCreator will not support Cascades, but that Qt apps will be officially supported. I get the impression they're having KDAB do the whole thing, including both Qt and QtCreator, to help bring over Nokia devs and others with Qt apps. Since the libraries will be on-device, you won't need a special NDK if you don't want to, but QtCreator will be available if you choose. That could be just a regular download of it as they appear to be pushing all the relevant changes upstream.

I was *told* that Cascades will be based on Qt 4.8 at launch, but that Qt 5 would be available (for pure Qt apps). Also that Cascades would in future be moved to Qt 5.

As you can tell, most of the above is a combination of guesswork and rumour, so make of it what you will. They've said little or nothing official about any of this at this point... :smileysad:

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Won't there be any beta bb10 for the playbook?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477

It's quite possible there will be a beta, but it almost certainly won't happen until BB10 is already out for the phones, in Q1 2013.

We can speculate, of course, but they have said nothing to suggest we'll see it sooner. They haven't said anything about BB10 on the PlayBook except that it will get there, after the phone launch.

Please use plain text.