Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
pushpendrak
My Device: Playbook OS2, Dev Alpha C

Qt5 for Blackberry

Hi,

As i m Qt Developer for past 3-4 years and watching mobile app development on Qt for iOS, Android, Blackberry, Tizen, Ubuntu.

Blackberry 10 has only Qt4 libs on its latest OS, whereas BB10 main development is CASCADE API based on Qt. Qt4 has very less and limited support for QtQuick (1.0/1.1).

Qt5 has added so many features and support for QtQuick, whick make it powerfull development API. people can make games app using Qt5 without learning OpenGL. libs like Particle, 3D, QtSensors, Mobility, GPS etc lot more. if Qt5 libs included as of now i beleive many more apps may have seen in appworld.

Qt5 reached to 5.2 version still no sign to add into mainstream BB10 i don't know why?

i know that BB is working on Qt5 but i wanted to know why still it lacks inside BB10 NDK.

I request please add Qt5 as soon as possible...

sorry for duplicate topic in other forum

My page on: App World
Check out my Apps 1). QFileExplorer 2). My ABCD
System Explorer APPID: 35601892
BlackBerry Development Advisor
Kareem_ELSayed
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Qt5 for Blackberry

[ Edited ]

A beta release of Qt5 on device and in the NDK is currently planned in upcoming releases probably version 10.3

Thanks,
Kareem.

Kareem ELSayed | Application Development Consultant | Developer Relations | BlackBerry | Twitter:@kemobyte
New Developer
pushpendrak

Thanks,
When it is scheduled.
According to. BlackBerry India 10.2.2 is also planned and. We r working on 10.2.1, that means it will be scheduled for this year end not earlier then?
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

For what should be obvious reasons, BlackBerry are unlikely to commit to any specific dates for future releases.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

I suppose you are aware that you can compile Qt5 for BlackBerry 10 yourself and include it with your app? Don't confuse the fact the BlackBerry 10 devices only have Qt4 libraries in firmware with not being able to run Qt5 on BlackBerry 10. Just don't use Cascades, which is based on Qt4.8.

pushpendrak wrote:

Hi,

As i m Qt Developer for past 3-4 years and watching mobile app development on Qt for iOS, Android, Blackberry, Tizen, Ubuntu.

Blackberry 10 has only Qt4 libs on its latest OS, whereas BB10 main development is CASCADE API based on Qt. Qt4 has very less and limited support for QtQuick (1.0/1.1).

Qt5 has added so many features and support for QtQuick, whick make it powerfull development API. people can make games app using Qt5 without learning OpenGL. libs like Particle, 3D, QtSensors, Mobility, GPS etc lot more. if Qt5 libs included as of now i beleive many more apps may have seen in appworld.

Qt5 reached to 5.2 version still no sign to add into mainstream BB10 i don't know why?

i know that BB is working on Qt5 but i wanted to know why still it lacks inside BB10 NDK.

I request please add Qt5 as soon as possible...

sorry for duplicate topic in other forum

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
New Developer
pushpendrak

My problem is here only, if I want to put my app on Appworld then I have to include all bulky libraries with it which makes it around more than 50mb for. 100kb of app And 2nd I can't use cascade.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10

Understood regarding the large library size, but as for Cascades, is there really anything in there you need if you have Qt5? Or is it the visual appearance you don't wan't to lose? That would make sense.

I'm curious what it was like developing with Qt for other mobile platforms? My understanding is that BlackBerry is unique in providing Qt libraries in ROM, so did you have to upload large packages on other platforms? Or were you doing desktop Qt development?

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
New Developer
pushpendrak

i want to do some games/animated controls using QtQuick and also want to take advavantage to cascade API. yes I also working on desktop apps so its thing like crossplatform.

2nd i don't develop for Android (i don like),, iOS (it costly setup) and i love blackberry (yes ofcourse BB10 UI and features still has lots to do).

3rd is not for me only, its for BB and other developers too, as it opens the way to develop games with minimal time and resource using QtQuick 2. so lots of small games will pour in appworld.

still i request Blackberry Dev team to include all QtQuick modules present in current Qt5 + BB10 cascade.

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.

I'm more and more considering using Qt 5.2
for multi platform development too.

But I'm not sure of the benefits for porting Cascades to Qt 5.X. There were some obvious additions and bug fixing but I'm not really sure if they really impact on the BlackBerry framework.
Cheers!