Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
billbsb
My Device: Playbook, Z10 L.E.
Accepted Solution

[Question] How data is transfered when using BlackBerry Tag (NFC)? Wifi Direct? Bluetooth 2.1? Bluetooth 3.0?

Hello there,

I saw a bunch of videos of BlackBerry Tag showing of all the cool things you can do with NFC but it got me wondering, what happens if all my other wireless antenas, like WiFi and Bluetooth, are off?

NFC can be used to transfer data but it's not good for big ammounts. I looked a bit further and I found this cool video showing the glaring difference of using Bluetooth 2.1, Bluetooth 3.0 High Speed and Wifi Direct to transfer big files, like videos. Does BB10 already support Wifi Direct? Bluetooth 3.0 High Speed?

I hope BB10 supports ALL of them for maximum compatibility and performance.

I was not sure where to post this question so here it is. Please move it if a better place is found. I think the community needs a General Development session for broader topics.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Retired
ashnazir
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: [Question] How data is transfered when using BlackBerry Tag (NFC)? Wifi Direct? Bluetooth 2.1? Bluetooth 3.0?

Let me look into this and I will get back to you shortly.
Retired
ashnazir
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: [Question] How data is transfered when using BlackBerry Tag (NFC)? Wifi Direct? Bluetooth 2.1? Bluetooth 3.0?

As the product has not launched yet, these features will be announced on January the 30th.
Retired
mwoolley
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]

Hi

BlackBerry tag and the APIs available to developers will figure out automatically the best way to transfer the data. NFC supports something known as 'connection handover' and where larger payloads or certain types of data are concerned (e.g photos) rather than transfer the data over NFC peer to peer mode, NFC is just used to negotiate an alternative transport. In the case of BlackBerry smart phones that alternative will be bluetooth.

So the users touch devices, there's a brief 'conversation' between the devices over NFC and this results in a bluetooth connection being established and the data transfer initiated across the faster bluetooth connection. This is all without the usual pairing process. Once the bluetooth stage is reached, the devices no longer need to be held close together of course.

The same principle applies to both BlackBerry 7 and BlackBerry 10. In fact we talk a little about this in our most recent article on BlackBerry 10 NFC APIs:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/BlackBerry-10-Sharing-using-NfcShareManage...

Hope this helps.

For more on NFC see:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/NFC-Article-and-Code-Index/ta-p/1538775

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Follow me on Twitter: @mdwrim
Developer
billbsb

Thanks a lot for the clarification mwoolley! That's the kind of anwers that really make this forum useful and make me believe in BB10. Great job!

OK, so Bluetooth is covered. I will just assume that it will use the appropriate method for comunicating with the other device, be it Bluetooth 2.1, 3.0 or even 4.0!

Now, as for WiFi Direct ... is there anything you could tell us about it before the launch event? Can we expect to share videos among BB10 devices in seconds instead of endless minutes? ;-)

Cheers!

Cheers!
Retired
mwoolley

Thank you! You're most welcome :-)

Unfortunately no, I can't say more on that topic at this stage. Not long to wait for Blackberry 10 now though!

All the best

Martin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to press the like button on the right side if you liked my attempts to help :-)
And please mark posts as solved if you think I found the solution or set you on its path. Thanks!
Developer
billbsb

Aha! BlackBerry 10 is out in the market and it's quite cool!

So, can you reveal any details now of how the file transfer is implemented? Or is it still top secret?

Cheers!

Cheers!
Retired
mwoolley

There's nothing secret about it :-)

Data is transferred directly over NFC P2P when the amount is "small" and over an NFC negotiated BlueTooth connection when it is "large". We provide APIs that let you control this (See NfcShareManager). BlueTooth support is 4.0LE. The full specification for the Z10 is available here: http://uk.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-z10/specifications.html

Developer
billbsb

Hello hello!

With the 10.2 Beta SDK announcement the Native roadmap was updated and BAM: Wifi Direct and Miracast support are here!

And for what I saw from the NFC APIs, Wifi Direct will be easy breasy. All this wireless data transfer is worth for some BB Jam material, both in detail and hands-on!

As a consumer, I hope it gets integrated to as many native applications as possible.

Cheers!

Cheers!