Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
iamjay
My Device: Playbook & Dev Alpha
My Carrier: AIS

Rearranging items in a list

Will the ListView support item rearranging by drag and drop in the upcoming SDKs? Or is there a UI guideline for something like this?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: Rearranging items in a list

I don't see anything in the current documentation that suggests this is there.

Bear in mind that ListView does not "own" the data and merely shows whatever the data model tells it to show.

Ideally you would want drag from an item of the list, with the list as a drop target.   Since the data model is in charge of what is displayed, this would presumably request a reorder in the data model.  So this would not be supported if the data model holds a sorted list, for example.

I'm thinking what you want is your own data model, perhaps interceding between the ListView and yet another data model.   Your data model would have an invocable method to move items, and you would respond to touch by starting some drag UI.

I haven't checked how much of that is there currently, but see:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Cascades-Development-Knowledge/Using-your-own-DataModel/ta-p/...

and

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Cascades-Development-Knowledge/Using-a-Custom-DataModel-to-Fi...

If you feel there are features you need to implement these, please make a feature request in Issue Tracker: follow instructions in: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Developer-Issue-Tracker/td-p/271768

Stuart

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
turitu
My Device: Z10, Q10, Z30
My Carrier: Telenor

Rearrange in the ListView is a one of the Cascades UI FW features that we consider has high prio. I cannot say exactly when you will have a verison of the SDK with this feature, but it is in the works.

-Markus Landin (Product Manager, Cascades Tooling)

Please use plain text.
Developer
supraking
My Device: Not Specified

Any progress on this? Kind of a big one. Apple supports it natively, Android doesn't, so there's a big +1 for BB10 if it's baked in!
Please use plain text.
Developer
minmax
My Device: Dev Alpha, Z10
My Carrier: MTS

+1
I want it too!!!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ondrejandrej
My Device: Dev Alpha + Z10
My Carrier: I carry it myself.

Any news on this?

SQL Terminal – command-line interface to local SQLite database
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

It's still in the roadmap but the fact that the Product Manager said 10 months ago that this is a high priority and several NDK interations later it's still not there I think you can come to your own conclusions.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

10 months ago? ;-) think you lost a year somewhere in calculations. ;-)

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Is this not 2013! :-)

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
slashkyle
My Device: Red Z10, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

actually it's 2014 :smileywink: haha... It is possible to move list items, how I'm not sure but I do know it is, just check out Lazy Lists, you can re-arrange list items and it appears to be a native app.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/32820912/

My guestimation of how they do this is an invisble container that they insert the held list item data into, then they make it appear above.  using touch propagation listeners they could tell when each objects touch is started and exitied, when it exits they adjust a variable to keep track of the new desired index and then when the user releases the item they set it to wherever index their variable had last been set to based on their movement along the list

Please use plain text.