Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
laclekim
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Request for Advice: Generally, what is the best practice to manage both a paid and a free app?

Hello all,

I recently finished my first cascades app, and now I want to build upon it to have a more feature rich app that I can then sell for a reasonable price. My question however is how can I manage the code base for both apps. Does any one have any "best practices" I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Request for Advice: Generally, what is the best practice to manage both a paid and a free app?

Are you using a revision control system? That should be a prerequisite...

How different will the two versions of the app be?

Generally if you've got two versions which differ only in terms of having a handful of features that are disabled in the free version, you would use exactly the same code base. You could even just make it so the packaging (build command) was the only difference, for example by adding an environment variable into one of them which would be checked at startup to enable/disable the paid features.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.