Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
notamonopoly
My Device: Storm 9530
Accepted Solution

Research in Motion Network Device Driver Fails to Start

I have spent the last two days futilely trying to connect my playbook with my computer over usb.

I have tried many things that I have read on posts that other people have done to resolve similar/same issues, but absolutely none of them have made any difference at all for me.

Quick summary:
- The playbook has the latest updates.
- The usb cable is fine as the playbook connects properly to a different windows 7 machine.
- The usb ports are fine (tried numerous ones on this machine), other devices connect without issue.
- Have tried both Blackberry Desktop and Device manager, 7 and 7.1.
- Playbook has wifi off and regular file sharing on.
- Have tried setting both 'windows' and 'automatically detect' options for connection on playbook.
- Have uninstalled/installed the device manager, the desktop manager and the individual drivers many times, with and without restarting both the computer and the playbook.
- Disabled firewall and anti-virus
- Removed all startup applications and all non-microsoft services.
- And many more things that I'm forgetting right now.

I don't think there is anything I have read about that I haven't tried.

The problem is very specific. The network adapter (Research in Motion Network Device) seems to install correctly but fails to start. After installing, for a few seconds, it says functioning normally, then changes to the yellow triangle with exclamation mark and driver details indicate that it failed with code 10, though sometimes the error number is different.

I've looked at the windows event logs and it has entries for the driver failing to start but no explanation as to why.

Has anyone else had this specific problem? And if so, what can I do about it? Please, I have spent days messing around and I just can't devote any more time to this nonsense.

It's weird, I have never ever had an issue connecting any of my Android or Apple devices to this computer, only this device. Very discouraging.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Research in Motion Network Device Driver Fails to Start

Hi

I confess that I never got USB wokring between my PlayBook and my Linux workstation -- like you, I got frustrated and fed up with fiddling with it after a while.

Now I deploy applications over wi-fi using the 'blackberry-deploy' utility. I presume that there is something similar in the Windows NDK, although I guess it isn't as efficient as just clicking a button.

Best wishes

Kevin

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
notamonopoly

Kevin, thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate it.

Would you be able to elaborate on what the 'blackberry-deploy' utility is? I googled but could not find a specific reference to it.

I would be absolutely fine deploying over wifi as my only purpose in wanting to connect is to test my apps. Although I am developing in Windows right now I also have linux running, so I'm sure I can use your method if there isn't an alternative for Windows.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kboone
My Device: Playbook 64Gb
My Carrier: n/a

Hi

There's some information on blackberry-deploy here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.quickstart/topic/r...

That's for BB10, but it works on the PlayBook as well.

You need to enable developer mode on the PB. The IP number is the general IP number of the device -- the one it gets from your wifi infrastructure -- not the specific developer IP, which I think is only used for the USB connection.

The problem with deploying over wifi is that the BB tends to shut down the wifi interface if you don't use it for a while. So I find that before deploying, I often have to use the Web browser on the BB to wake up the network.

It's all a bit of a drag, to be honest. I'd rather get the USB working, but (for me) that could be a Linux problem, not a BB one.

Best wishes

Kevin

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
notamonopoly

Kevin...you sir, are a genius. That worked perfectly.

I agree that being able to deploy over usb would be better, but I am just so happy to finally have a way to test my app. I had almost given up on Blackberry, especially since my apps already run on multiple platforms, but I guess now I have one more target to build for.

Thanks again for all your help.

Please use plain text.