Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
dhirajnangare
My Device: BB 10 -BlackBerry Z10

Running application in background and catching incoming and outgoing messages

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am working on one app in which I want to run it in background and it should handle the event when any sms gets received and my application should receive that sms even if this application is closed.  Till now my application is getting sms only when it is opened . I want it to catch all sms received even it is closed. 

Similarly I want this for sending sms . 

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

Re: Running application in background and catching incoming and outgoing messages

you will have to apply for a long running background app
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Regular Contributor
dhirajnangare

Re: Running application in background and catching incoming and outgoing messages

Thanks Simon_hain for your reply .  But I didn't get your point. I mean to  say,  Where shall I have to aply ?

Developer
simon_hain

https://developer.blackberry.com/jam/headless/
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Contributor
dhiraj_n

Do I need to register in vendor portal for this ?

Regular Contributor
dhirajnangare

Hi simon_hain,

I have applied for the permission as you told me for this purpose but I didn't get anything  . What do I do next to run my application in background . 

one more thing , I want my application to run in background and it should catch received and sent sms in my application so for this am I supposed to request permission for HUB too or just Headlesss application or both ? 

Thanks & Regards,

Dhiraj

Developer
simon_hain

headless is only to allow your app to run without UI.
you have to wait until bbry gets back to you, but you can start with the functionality already, of course.
@SimonHain on twitter
Regular Contributor
dhirajnangare

Yes I need that functionality of headless in my application and want to catch sent and received sms also so am I supposed to request for both permissions ?

Developer
simon_hain

other permissions are requested from the user, only long running headless has to be requested from blackberry.
@SimonHain on twitter
Regular Contributor
dhirajnangare

[ Edited ]