Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

SDK Beta 3 - App is getting choppy while testing on DevAlpha

Hi,

I updated DevAlpha A and the SDK 3 successfully.

I can recongnize, that my current app, which was superfast in the previous version,  is getting a little bit choppy, especially during list scrolling. I guess its because of the changes in the qDebug output  - the app seems to fill permanently a logfile. But i am not sure at all. 

Can someone confirm this issue?

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: *

Re: SDK Beta 3 - App is getting choppy while testing on DevAlpha

Yes, I can confirm that and other users on Twitter reported the same.

Also it looks like the whole system runs a bit laggy. And (as you said) there is a lot of debug output logged to slogger2 telling me that frames have been dropped.

-----------
http://kodira.de
BB Apps: Pattern :: Plonk
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know that i am not the only one facing this issue.

Yes, the whole system is laggy. Not as fluid as demoed at devcon. Not at all. 

Apart from that, you can use "slog2info -w |grep qt-msg" to remove the frames-spam from the log output.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I suspect the choppiness is due to lots of debugging code that's probably present, but I don't mean the slogger2 output because that seems unlikely to actually be causing a significant delay.

I say that because the whole point of the new logging stuff is that it does not actually write it to a file.  It's actually going into a RAM drive, so the performance should be much much faster than the previous logging, even if there are many more messages going there.  I could definitely be wrong about that, but I do know it's now memory-based so I think we should look elsewhere for the cause.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!