Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Koo
New Contributor
Koo
My Device: Developer - using Simulator
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

SDK can't connect to Simulator in VMware

[ Edited ]

My OS: Windows 7 64-bit

SDK Version: 10.0.9; Build id: v201212072306

VMware Player Version: 5.0.1 build-894247

Video card: NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti

I'm trying to use the BlackBerry 10 Simulator, running in VMware Player, to test apps being developed in the BlackBerry Native SDK. However, when I try to run these apps from the SDK and connect to the simulator, I see that although (I think) I got the IP address configured correctly for the target, it is still listed as "Not connected" in the list of Target Options (I'm not sure if this is to be expected or not). Then if I try to run the project anyway, I get the following error message:

"Unable to connect. Ensure USB cable or Wi-Fi is connected, IP address is correct, and development mode is enabled."

Sorry if I haven't explained very clearly, this is all very new to me, and I'm still struggling to get my head around it. I'm sure there's probably some information I've forgotten to include in this post, but I'll provide it if I think of anything.

I've been searching for solutions to the issue, but it seems like there could be a lot of possible causes, so I thought it might be best to make a new thread specifically for my situation. I've tried the following:

- Checking that Development Mode was enabled (it seemed it was enabled by default)

- Pinging what I thought was the simulator's IP address from command prompt at various times (sometimes I got it to reply successfully, but not at first)
- Disabling the Windows Firewall
- Running a .bat file with "ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew; ipconfig /flushdns"
- Checking I have the correct target IP address for the simulator (though checking this still confuses me a little, but I think I can find it in the simulation's 'Settings' -> 'About' -> 'Network' menu?)
- Temporarily disabling Avast! antivirus software to test whether it was interfering
- Checking VMware's Windows services were running (I believe it installed four of them in total)
- Uninstalling (then rebooting) and reinstalling the SDK, Simulator and VMware, and rebooting, numerous times

- Asked Windows to troubleshoot VMware's VMnet8 connection; it said DHCP needed to be enabled, but then failed at attempting to do this for me (this left me confused; I wasn't sure if this was of importance or not)

- Switching from NAT mode to Bridged mode in VMware's settings for the Simulator, then testing connectivity (it didn't seem to help, and the 'About' -> 'Network' page in the simulation was blank), then switching back again

Any help, or any pointers on additional information I could give, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I also can't seem to get QML previews to work at all. I'm not sure if it's related to my other issue, but I thought it might be worth mentioning, and it's something else I'd like to try to fix, if possible. I've tried updating my graphics drivers, but to no avail.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuma
My Device: bb10
My Carrier: TMobile

Re: SDK can't connect to Simulator in VMware

It looks like there's no one support this topic. I got the same problem :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Koo
New Contributor
Koo

:smileysad: Do you just have the problem where you can't connect to the simulator, or are you unable to use QML preview, too?

Please use plain text.
Koo
New Contributor
Koo

[ Edited ]

Solution found! I just tried adding a target in the SDK using the IP address shown on the simulator's 'Settings' -> 'About' -> 'Network' screen, but the target was filtered out of the list unless I unchecked "Filter targets based on C/C++ Application selection". If I unchecked this, the target was listed as "192.168.31.128 (Neutrino/x86)", but the Run button was greyed out when I selected this, and I noticed the error message, "Selected binary and target do not match x86" at the top of the window. I googled this error message, and found the following (fairly old) thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/QNX-IDE-Target-Selected-binary-and-target-...

After reading through and testing, it turns out all I had to do was change the active configuration in the little "hammer" dropdown menu at the top of the SDK window from "Device-Debug" to "Simulator-Debug", as I was needing to build for the simulator, and not an actual physical BlackBerry device. :smileyhappy: Here is a quote from cdamus's post, which is where I found the solution:

"A little tip to streamline your workflow:  the C/C++ development perspective has a little "hammer" toolbar action that you can pull down (click the black triangle beside it) to set and build the active configuration in one step, for one or more projects.  The icon to its right (looks a bit like a sundial) sets the active configuration, but doesn't build."

I took a screenshot to help indicate the setting I needed to use:

Hopefully this helps you, chuma, and anyone else who has this problem. Thanks for the tip, cdamus!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chuma
My Device: bb10
My Carrier: TMobile

[ Edited ]

I did set my project configuration to Simulator-Debug. I could get the IP of the simulator when I used Auto Discover. But can not run game with Simulator-Debug. The error message is "Unable to connect. Ensure USB cable or Wi-Fi is connected, IP address is correct, and development mode is enabled."

The image shown that I discovered the simulator but it's not connected

Please use plain text.