Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

SDK woes - share your pain - BAD SDK RELEASE

Most stable release - ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!

For anyone with a substantial number of complex QML files this totally breaks the app.

Making the changes suggested comes up with multiple problems.

Found so far;

- crashing of debugger

- crashing of IDE when adding sample and template projects

- duplicate actions showing up on Action bar

- simple QML custom controls not displaying properly

- Signals not being picked up in QML

- Running of the RIM Navigation template code causes freeze when going back and forth a few times

- demos which don't compile or don't run

In Android I can step through the libraries to see where the error is but with Cascades it's a tedious time consuming project, with no debugging of QML and a debugger that crashes half the time with half cobbled together help that is only sometimes in English and contradicts itself on the right approach.

I've spent all night trying to get my code to work only to have to start again and piece by piece adding back in components to see what works and what doesn't.  But if even the template code doesn't work what is the point.

THIS REALLY ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH! I'm pissed off (and tired) that you call this stable!

I urge those thinking of upgrading who haven't yet to hold off.

For those others who already have please add to this topic with your problems.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
BBSJdev

Re: SDK woes - share your pain - BAD SDK RELEASE

- Renaming (refactoring) a file crashes the IDE

- Different error messages depending on whether a debug or release build

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer
HuXu77
My Device: Playbook 16GB and Z10

[ Edited ]

When trying to open a QML from a project I built in Beta 2, I get a

Could not open the editor: The editor class could not be instantiated. This usually indicates a missing no-arg constructor or that the editor's class name was mistyped in plugin.xml.

And the details say

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Duplicate item in map: MapID: ModelInfoLoader.resolvedSlotIDMap, Key:setScale

Edit: fixed the issue by removing BBNDK beta 2 completely and then installing beta 3.

Fitbit for BlackBerry PlayBook
Developer
BBSJdev

I had the same problem and re-installed rather then wasting time trying to work out what the problem was.

Contributor
II_ARROWS
My Device: Torch 9810

[ Edited ]

I created a new cascade project and opening the qml file I get this error: 

The QML preview is not available.
glGetProcAddress_win32 failed: glGenFramebuffersEXT

Also, I can't connect to the device (by the way, the SDK target is 10.0.9.386 and Dev Alpha OS is 10.0.9.388...). It is correctly discovered and I installed the debug token.

UPDATE: i disinstalled the SDK and now I can connect the device.

Super Contributor
Meghasanghvi
My Device: Not Specified

I also face this issue. It is not at all stable release. My working code broken because of some file is remove from API, property change of some component, Remove some prperty of component, PixelBufferData class is totaly removed, Slogger is not have basic functionality like search and all. for finding qDebug() we have to scroll down to list and check line by line statement for debug statement.

Regular Contributor
_NishantShah
My Device: Blackberry

I am a bit dissapointed too. A lot of changes are to be done in existing project specially in QMLs. Many classes & methods have been replaced or changed & its difficult to find them. It doesn't seem stable either.

Developer
georg22
My Device: Blackberry Playbook

@Meghasanghvi

You can use "slog2info -w |grep qt-msg" to narrow the log output.

But i agree, its not stable at all. Sometimes the IDE is very slow, sometimes not. Also the IDE was in an endless loop refreshing the workspace and i needed to restart.

Testing the app on DevAlpha -  it is a bit choppy now, while list scrolling, i think because it is permanently filling the log file. Now its hard to recognize "real" performance problems... 

and yes, so many changes in QML (good changes for sure) - i need to rewrite a lot. I hope RIM shift the deadline now....

Regular Contributor
Transcendental_Mobile
My Device: PlayBook

Given the not insignificant refactoring still occurring with Cascades, and the compressed development timeline at RIM, things could be worse (fingers crossed).

After reworking my QML, things are apparently working as before.

So far the Momentics IDE has crashed once (appeared to be related to import statement issue), and spurious error glyphs often show up in the QML when there are in fact no errors.

I'd hope for at least bi-weekly updates to the IDE to be released from here on in (after all, there's a lot of code in the IDE that can be covered by regression testing).

As for the Dev Alpha itself, and/or its system software, it'd be nice if the necessity of tapping repeatedly to effect a single tap could be fixed with the next OS update. (This issue is seen repeatedly in the BB Jam Americas keynote videos, I notice.)

Contributor
II_ARROWS
My Device: Torch 9810

Hoping that is not an hardware defect...