Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Safe to target 10.1?

Hi all,

Can anyone confirm if it is safe to target 10.1 devices and make use of the new APIs/features in that OS version? I am wondering if there are still 10.0-based devices out there, or have all carriers now offered an update?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Safe to target 10.1?

I get lots and lots of 10.0 installs on a daily basis. It's definitely not "safe" to target only 10.1 yet, unless you're comfortable with the fact many users wouldn't be able to install your app yet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange

Great, thankyou for this - useful to know

thanks
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I thought I'd better back that up with some actual numbers, and they're actually not quite as bad as I'd thought. I wouldn't have emphasized "lots and lots" quite so strongly if I'd done this first.

For the last week of data, I've actually got 84% on 10.1 for new installs.

I note that Verizon seems to be stuck at 10.0.9 in the US, at least for a bunch of users, and there's also a sizable contingent of AT&T and T-Mobile US on 10.0.10. That accounts for almost half of the 10.0.10 ones, with a smattering of people in numerous other countries who still haven't upgraded either.

By the way, I've got a couple of major updates to my apps planned for around the end of June, and I do plan to move to 10.1, even if there are 16% still not on it. From my point of view, it's a support issue... I want the benefits of the 10.1 SDK, and if those users are still stuck on an older release, from my point of view they need to pester their carriers to approve the update and get on with things. I'm not going to hold back myself and penalize all my other users just for them. I'd say the same thing if even 25% were still not on 10.1.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Passport

I'd also like to add that there's a contingent of users out there who are simply not getting OS updates at all right now.  They're all stuck on 10.0, perhaps even 10.0.9.2372.  These are enthusiastic early adopters who went out and bought Z10s from a source unrelated to their carrier, and got a model that their carrier doesn't support.

I'm not sure how numerous they are, but they are likely the sort who will make a lot of noise.  I really hope a solution is offered for these people going forward, since with old BBOS you could always download OS updates directly (from non-shady sources) if you knew where to look.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I'm fairly certain that os updates can now be downloaded via BB Link, unless directly restricted by the provider (Verizon)