Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
Ksantor
My Device: Z10

Same app, same situation, different devices - totally (!) different behaviour

Ran into very strange situation...

4 devices:

Z10 STL100-1, 10.2.1.2102

Z10 STL100-2, 10.2.1.2102

Z10 STL100-2, 10.2.1.2102

Z10 Porche Design, 10.2.1.2141

On two of these devices (STL100-1 and one of the STL100-2) my application is working with no issues at all.
On other two devices, the app drains battery like a maniac.

The issue comes from the headless part of the app.
I've asked all of the customers to reinstall the app, but don't launch the UI part. So that in all four cases application should be in the exact same 'fresh' state.

No result...
Two devices showed 0.01% battery consumtion during 12h

Other two - 16-20% (!!!) for approximately the same period of time.

On application launch (headless part), QGeoPositionInfoSource* object is created.

The only background process running, is the periodic timer (10 min interval), that is checking if the specific value in app Settings is true. And since this value is false dy default, and UI part is never opened, thus, no changes made, nothing else happens.

I am completely baffled!

Is there any logical explanation, how the same app in the very same state can produce such a significant results?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
shaque
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Same app, same situation, different devices - totally (!) different behaviour

HI,

On the devices you are seeign heavy battery draw, is that consistently reproducible on those devices? Or is it related to a particular location or movement pattern of the device since you did mention geofencing. Are all 4 devices tested in the same location and with similar movement patterns?

Also, did you reproduce this in-house?

Thanks.

Shadid

New Developer
Ksantor
My Device: Z10

Re: Same app, same situation, different devices - totally (!) different behaviour

Two devices with no issues were tested both in the same and different conditions. Basically there is no issues whatsoever, no matter if devices are inhouse, moving or stationary, in good or bad coverage conditions. These factors only determine the accuracy of the GPS readings, but not the battery consumption (at least not in the noticable scale).

Other two devices, was in different conditions (these are devices of the consumers, not test units). Based on the feedback I received, on both devices the app is constantly loading the CPU up to 9-15%, and it seems, that there is no dependancy on the environment conditions.

As a hotfix, I altered the code, to delete the instance of the class (which is using location services) completely, when a user turns off gps related feature in app settings. But, unfortunately, this is not an ideal solution.

P.S. No matter what I tried, couldn't reproduce this issue on my own device.