Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Send invocation to current application - is it possible?

Hi there

I am trying to implement a service type of app, whereas if the user attempts to close, it should close but send an invocation to itself so that (hopefull) a new instance will be launched.

So far, i am able to send and receive message via invocations between two different apps, however no invocation is being sent (or received) when i use the sender specifies its own target name (i.e. "com.example.myself")

Is it a bug, or a security feature?

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Send invocation to current application - is it possible?

The invocation will be sent to the currently running app before the app has had a chance to shut down.

So I think what you are trying to do is currently not possible.

You would either need to delay the invocation signal until after the app dies or be able to run two instances of the same app, both of which I do not believe are possible at this time.  In a later update when background services become available this may be possible.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Send invocation to current application - is it possible?

Thanks BBJdev for the reply, and excuse my bad English :smileyhappy: 

"In a later update when background services become available this may be possible." -- this sentence summarizes everything for me,

and I think it's a pitty that Blackberry OS 10 does not support such an essential feature at this point. 

Hopefully, it will be added soon.

Regards!