Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
bwalter
My Device: BB10 Simulator

Should we really develop native BB10 applications using Cascades?

I know the subject is a little bit provocative but I really need to raise this problem again: it is currently impossible to develop a BB10 application with the simulator using MapView (application crashes in safe-mode, map is blank in normal mode).

I have a working Qt application which I cannot port to BB10 simply because there is no possibility to test the application with the simulator. Developing it as a pure Qt4 application is also not possible because the Blackberry implementation of QtLocation does not provide any map view. Qt5Location would be fine but BB does not provide any plug-in for Blackberry devices...

I really like the new BB10 OS but it is difficult for me to really understand why such a trivial thing like being able to develop a native application with a map is not feasible? I wonder why developers do not get the appropriate tools for developing native BB10 applications... Users do not need 1000000 Android apps but at least enjoy a few native applications which can do a little bit more than displaying text and images. I am currently very disappointed and am seriously considering giving up developing for BB devices.

---

See bug report: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-331

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: Should we really develop native BB10 applications using Cascades?

Don't give up. BB Maps is all new and is a little behind the curve in terms of features and reliability (ok, maybe a lot). This of course does not help you, but BB Maps in the simulator should be available at some point. This might be a project you have to come back to, or obtain a device.

Have you tried Nokia API for Qt?
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bwalter

Thanks for the answer :smileyhappy:

I really don't want to give up because I like the OS but I currently have no possibility to continue developping my app (and received no hope and no alpha device from BB...).

Nokia maps (and also OSM) APIs for Qt are fine and compile fine. But the problem is that we cannot get any GPS position (the position plug-in is only available as part of the Qt4LocationSubset which does not support maps). Currently, there is no official roadmap, neither for MapView nor for Qt5Location... I can only wait (and be unproductive...) or give up. Unfortunately.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
robinhuang
My Device: Z10

QGeoPositionInfoSource works well

Please use plain text.
New Developer
bwalter

Yes, QGeoPositionInfoSource works well with the QtLocation subset, but without map... On the other hand, Qt5 Map works well, but without QGeoPositionInfoSource.

We currently have the following combinations:
- QGeoPositionInfoSource (part of official QtLocationSubset) + MapView (not working with the simulator)
- Qt5 Map (QtQuick2) but without QGeoPositionInfoSource
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Try using the NDK geo location API (not Qt)?
Please use plain text.
Developer
kylefowler
My Device: 9900

Is it possible to modify the nokia maps api and port it to using QtLocationSubset on BB10? I havent looked at those apis but would be something I would be interested in.
Like all of my posts
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bwalter

Small update:

- MapView is now working with the simulator under Windows (in normal mode) with the latest simulator release (1.0.1483) :smileyhappy:

- Unfortunately, it still does not work under Linux (in safe mode) and the application crashes

Please use plain text.
Developer
bcs925
My Device: PlayBook, DA B, DA C, LE Z10 #102, Q10, Z30

No offense, but why not just buy the phone? It is readily available in most countries.
---
Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding site: BBcascades.com & Cascades Blog: bbcascadescode.tumblr.com

My Built for BlackBerry app: The Dive Plan
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bwalter

I am waiting for the Q10 :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.