Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
vingilot
My Device: 9900
Accepted Solution

Simulator Freezes

Hey all, getting the IDE and simulator working and am having problems launching the simulator. It opens, goes through the BB lightshow, but then freezes at some blue lights and never makes it to the homescreen. Does anyone have any similar issues?

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
smacmartin
My Device: developer

Re: Simulator Freezes

Which OS are you using?

Which simulator: Playbook or Cascades?

Did you adjust any settings, such as memory?

Stuart

Developer
vingilot

Hey thanks for replying, OS is windows7, simulator is the BB10 Alpha Device from the cascades site, I didn't adjust anything no.

smacmartin
My Device: developer

I have not seen this with the default settings, and I'm using Windows7 so this might not be helpful.  Hopefully someone else has seen and solved the issue and can give us some insight.

- in my VM I bumped up the memory to 2Gb.  This is done when the VM is off.  (If it's over 2Gb, it doesn't run).

- do you have other VM software that might be interfering?

Stuart

Developer
vingilot

No this is my first use of vmplayer, my laptop is getting a bit on the older side so perhaps its performance isn't high enough although I am fairly sure I meet specs

mgoulet
My Device: BB Alpha

Hi there,

Have you made any progress with the issue?

Martin

Developer
vingilot

No, I've been busy lately, I'm planning to get a new laptop shortly though and think it might be a non issue then?
mgoulet

Hi,

A few points:

1) When you say the lightshow is displayed, do you see graphic movements or does it show up frozen instantly?

2) When the VM is loading, are you able to access hardware settings for it? you can try and reduce the 3D acceleration for the simulator and see if it improves the situation;

3) What is the video card in your laptop?

Martin

Developer
vingilot

Hmm, by lightshow yes, when I reset the VM it does show the graphic movements and eventually freezes before ever getting to the homescreen. I can navigate to the virtual machine settings at this time, however, the option to change the settings are greyed out. The video card is a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Dan, Thanks Martin!

mgoulet

Dan,

Before we digging deeper, can you verify that you are using the lastest and greatest drivers for your chipset and video card?

Martin