Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Zingam
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Simulator Woes

Back in February I have tried the beta NDK it it worked OK.

These days I have installed BB10 alpha simulator on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit and the Playbook 2.0.1 simulator on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and on Windows 7 64 bit. VMWare Player 4.0.3

1 of 10 tries the BB10 alpha simulator was able to pass the splash screen and to load. The Playbook simulator does not seem to load on Ubuntu and it takes upto 10 minutes to load on Windows. But unfortunately it doesn't alwasy load. Is this normal?

Then when I try to deploy a Qt Creator project on the simulator (I realize that it doesn't compile a proper executable for it). It takes at least 15 minutes for the deployment to complete.

When I try to deploy Momentics project it fails each time.

Also If I click the simulator window on BB10 the mouse pointer stays captured to he upper part of the screen and cannot be moved beyound.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
fiferboy
My Device: Torch 9600, Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Simulator Woes

I have the simulator installed on two different Ubuntu 12.04 machines, and for whatever reason it runs much better on the lower-spec machine.

For the mouse issue when I can't move it to the bottom half of the screen I move it all the way over to the side and after that I can move it down more. Not the ideal solution, I know.

I have more success rotating the simulator into landscape mode, as it fits into my monitor then. To acheive this, scroll the simulator all the way to the bottom and click on the lower right-hand corner of the bezel. Depending on your machine you may have to wait a few moments to see anything happen.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

To improve the performance of the simulator you can try the following.

1)      If your computer has multiple cores then you should change the VM settings to enable them.  This can be changed under the CPU settings in VMPlayer.

2)      Check to see if your CPU supports either Intel Virtualization Technology or AMD Virtualization and enable it.  This is usually enabled through your computer’s BIOS and is often off by default.  From my experience, I’ve found the options under Advanced CPU settings but you will have to refer to your motherboards documentation for specifics.  This will give you huge performance boost as the simulator should be booting up in approximately 30-40 seconds.

3)      If you’re booting into safe mode then you will be using a software version of OpenGL, which will slow down your system further.  I would recommend making sure your video card drivers are up to date and the recommended ones from your vendor.

Thanks for reporting the mouse issue.  We will try to replicate this internally and try to narrow down if it’s a VMWare or Simulator issue. 

With regard to the simulator not booting up 100% of the time, can you describe where it actually stops booting?  Does it fail at "starting screen" or does the splash screen load forever?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zingam

[ Edited ]

Here are my specs:

13.3" notebook with a reasonably fast dual core i5 2.53 GHz CPU, 4Gb of RAM, mobile HD5470 with 512Mb RAM with latest drivers and 7400rpm HDD and I use 64bit OSs. I think the little machine is fast enough.

I have a dual boot 64bit Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.

I have enabled VT-x manually, 3D and I have seleted 2 processor cores (out of 4) and it still has taken 6 minutes (I have closed all programs incl. antivirus) to boot on Windows (Playbook 2.0.1).

If the simulator loads, performance feels adequate.

When booting some lines appear twice like INFORMATIONAL, END SERVICE bootinfo etc. which seems odd.

Also deployment fails with this error:

Deployment Failed: Info: Sending request: Install and Launch
Info: Action: Install and Launch
Info: Debug native: on
Info: File size: 15663
Info: Installing com.example.TestA.testDev_ample_TestAde2daa9e...
Info: Processing 15663 bytes

That's just the blank screen application.

It fails to deploy at least on the first run. What I have just found out that if after I run the program and immediatelly switch to the simulator and click on the screen so that it captures the focus then deployment succeeds. After that at least for now it occures to me that deployment succeeds every time. (using Momentics -> run on Windows)

Update: Actually if I change anything and rebuild. Deployment fails again unless VMWare captures the mouse quickly.

The following is about BB10 Simulator on Linux:

With regard to the simulator not booting up 100% of the time, can you describe where it actually stops booting?  Does it fail at "starting screen" or does the splash screen load forever?

Actually it stops booting both at "starting screen" or the splash screen stays forever, incl. the Playbook simulator hangs without any animation on the splash screen.

BTW. It would be nice if it is possible to resize the simulator to fit on smaller screens.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Zingam

An update: I have just found out that virtualization was disabled in BIOS. I don't know how this has happened. Now simulators are much faster on Linux and they even appear to work.

The problem with the mouse in BB10 persists but there is no such problem with Playbook OS 2 on VMWare. Actually sometimes I get two pointers on the screen one is a hand a the other one is the virtual machine pointer. And they move a bit independently. I guess there is dissynchronization between the real and the virtual pointer.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

I thought I would check out the bb10 sim this morning but I had no joy...

I have a laptop with intel T4400 dual core processor, no virtualization supported.

Running fedora16 64bit and vmware 4.0.2 build-591240

The bb10 sim hangs on the splashscreen every time.

If I enable both cores in vmware I dont even see the splash screen, just a black screen...

:smileysad:

FYI, the playbook sim runs fine on the same machine.

Jon

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
daryl_martin
My Device: N/A

What version of the playbook simulator are you running?  How long do you wait for the simulator to boot to the home screen? 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jheron
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: ...

I was being too impatient it turns out.... It takes about 10 minutes to boot up is all.:smileywink:

When I enable both cpu cores it wont run at all, with one core selected it will start 4 out 5 times I just have to be patient...

Hopefully I will get a device at the Toronto jam, then I can be productive.

Cheers,

Jon

Please use plain text.
Developer
BryceMcMurter
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Its a shame that you cant enable VT. My simulator was also taking 10 min to load. After enabling VT in the BIOS and changing VMWare to use 2 cores (out of 8) I boot up without even seeing the dev alhpa splash screen.

Please use plain text.